Article <v4vdjf$24qa9$1@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v4vdjf$24qa9$1@dont-email.me>

From: Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-06-18 (Tuesday)
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2024 13:03:59 -0700

On 6/19/2024 9:39 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
> I have today (Juneteenth!) off, which means after work and errands
> yesterday, I planned to kick back and watch some movies (which I also
> intend to do today!).
>
> So, I watched:
>
> soaps: DOOL - Jack shows up forcing Chad and Julie to lie to him so as
> not to reveal that Clyde said that dumb Abby is still alive until they
> have proof; by the end, they are in Chicago seeking proof. The rest of
> it was either Xander admitting stuff to Maggie, or Alex and later Leo
> having therapy sessions with Marlena. NuTheresa runs across Leo, which
> allowed them to reference Gwen (whom I still miss!).
>     GH - Good stuff, as this time Sam exposes what an awful person Carly
> is, when Sam goes to Carly to plead for help with Danny and Jason, and
> Carly obnoxiously rejects Sam claiming that Sam is really only doing
> this out of "revenge" rather than for the legitimate reason of trying to
> keep her son away from mob violence. Agent John "Jagger" Cates goes to
> Jason with his (dumb!) theory that Anna is the head of Pikeman, and
> Jason later informs Anna about what happened. Anna and Valentin have a
> "date". Sasha and Cody are finally about to "do it" but are stopped by
> Gio practicing his violin within eyeshot.
>     Y&R - Ha! Tucker (whom I just read in the press in imminently
> leaving the show) *was* faking the "heart attack", as Audra correctly
> surmised!
>
> Romi (Tubi) - A 2023 Tubi Original flick!
>     This wasn't as bad as it could have been. But it also certainly
> wasn't as good as it could have been either.
>     Alexa Barajas (best known from either "Yellowjackets" or for
> recurring as Allegra's (doomed?) sister on seasons #6-8 of "The Flash")
> starts as a messed up YOUT! In the film's open, she hit-and-runs
> somebody due to distracted driving. It turns out her mother is some
> cold-fish big wig, who covers up the crime and sends Barajas out of town
> to housesit.
>     And she's not just house-sitting any old house, but a "smart house"
> run by an AI named "Romi". The house is owned by a creepy German dude
> (Pavel Kríz), and the AI is maintained by a way too familiar nerdy dude
> (Juan Riedinger).
>     If that was all there was too this, it would have been fine. But of
> course they add on to this that the "smart house" is also *haunted*.
> This is not good for a young woman who is already on medication for PTSD
> (for running some poor innocent guy over!!).
>     Anyway, this passed the time, but I figured out what was going on
> fairly early on, so the only real question was whether Barajas'
> character would survive this or not...
>
> The Marvels (Disney+) - Actually, I didn't hate this.

There was never a reason to hate it.  The movie is fine.  Although I
would have touched up the ending a bit.

> What did you watch?

I watched:

The Death of Superman (4K disc) 2018 animated movie set in the DCAMU.

SPOILERS

The first half of the movie is pretty much Superman coming to terms with
his love for Lois Lane and revealing his secret identity to her.  The
earlier movies had Superman and Wonder Woman as an item.  This movie
acknowledges they had a relationship, but broke up off screen.  Anyway,
a meteorite crashes to Earth with a mysterious monster (Doomsday)
emerging and starting to lay waste to everything in its' path.  Since
Superman is busy wooing Lois Lane the rest of League heads out to stop
it.  The League then proceeds to get brutally stomped by Doomsday!  Some
of them start out pretty arrogant but that arrogance fades quickly.
Eventually Superman joins the fight and even without holding back
Doomsday is able to go toe to toe with him.  I should also mention Lex
Luther is hanging around monitoring the situation with glee, expecting
to swoop in and save the day with his tech, but Doomsday puts the stomp
on him too.  In the end Superman just barely manages to kill Doomsday,
but apparently at the cost of his own life.  There's a funeral, but
Superman's coffin is broken into, or I should say out of.  A post credit
scene shows various "Supermen" gearing up to become the new Superman.
This was really good and by far the best Superman vs. Doomsday take I've
seen on film.

Reign of the Supermen (4K disc) 2019 animated movie set in the DCAMU.

SPOILERS

Picking up after the events of "The Death of Superman" multiple
"Superman" have shown up on the scene claiming to be the real Superman.
These include a very young clone of Superman created by Lex Luthor,
Steel (who wasn't pretending to be Superman but filling that same gap),
a Cyborg Superman and an "Eradicator" Superman.

Early in the movie the Justice League is "accidentally" sent to
somewhere across the universe with no way to return to Earth leading to
the Cyborg Superman to eventually emerge as the planet's hero.  The Teen
Titans who were mentioned several times in "The Death of Superman" are
conveniently never mentioned in this movie.  Anyway, some people don't
like Cyborg Superman, and Luther has a vested interested in his clone
taking the mantel so doesn't trust him either.  Cyborg Superman is
eventually revealed to be working for Darkseid (who was also responsible
for Doomsday).  However, the real Superman emerges from his rejuvenation
just in time and with help from the other fake Supermen is able to save
the day.  And with help from Luthor they are also able to retrieve the
League.  A post credit scene shows the League fed up with Darkseid and
planning to take the fight to him; with Luthor saying he will help.

The The Death of Superman and Reign of the Supermen work together as one
continuous story.  They are some of the best DCAMU movies.  As I recall
during the original run it wasn't until "Reign of the Supermen" that I
even realized that all of these movies (the DCAMU) had been connected in
the same universe.