Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v500sq$282bs$1@dont-email.me>

From: KevinJ93 <kevin_es@whitedigs.com>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: British (european?) kitchen counter electric outlets
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2024 18:33:14 -0700
 <v440c1$3d8rb$1@dont-email.me> <v45bjf$3radd$3@dont-email.me>
 <v45i56$3tscd$1@dont-email.me> <v4m71a$3vav2$1@dont-email.me>
 <v4nb4p$5pn2$1@dont-email.me>
 <v4nbu6$1kb5$1@nnrp.usenet.blueworldhosting.com>
 <v4nhe7$79i4$3@dont-email.me> <v4pggq$mque$1@dont-email.me>
 <v4pt94$rq2o$2@dont-email.me> <v4rk0h$19b4l$1@dont-email.me>
 <v4sq2u$1gs9u$1@dont-email.me> <v4u5m1$1sleq$1@dont-email.me>
 <v4uvnc$21stu$1@dont-email.me> <v4vfja$2542j$1@dont-email.me>
 <v4vkhr$26210$1@dont-email.me>

On 6/19/24 3:02 PM, Don Y wrote:
> On 6/19/2024 1:38 PM, KevinJ93 wrote:
>> On 6/19/24 9:07 AM, Don Y wrote:
>>> On 6/19/2024 1:42 AM, Martin Brown wrote:
>> <...>
>>>
>>> Here, you can add a stub diverging from an existing box; there's no need
>>> to preserve this "ring".  In your case, it seems like you would have to
>>> literally insert the box *into* the ring (?)
>>>

>> They are called spurs in UK and are allowed with restrictions.
>>
>> https://www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk/guidance/your-questions-answered/questions/how-many-spurs-can-i-have-on-a-ring-main/
>
> But, how do you *access* the wire to do so?  Possibly you can gain access
> INSIDE a box.  But, now you have to get your "stub" wire out of the box
> and into the "cavity" and, eventually, over to its destination.
>
> Here, we can open walls with a "plunge saw" (drywall saw) -- to any level
> of exposure deemed necessary.  Then, slip a new piece of drywall (cut to
> that size/shape) in its place and patch.

 From the back of the box you can drill into the cavity, or carve out a
trench in the surface of the inner wall deep enough to run the cable to
the next box if the location is close. Plaster over the trench (and
cable) when finished. I assume that is still allowed, it was many years
ago that I did that.

In the house I had in England the inner wall was made of breeze block
(cinder block) that was soft enough to gouge with a finger nail. Making
a channel in it was very easy with a masonry chisel. It is more
difficult if you have to do it in brick, stone or concrete.

Some houses use pre-cast concrete lintels over windows and doors. The
concrete is those can be extremely tough and very difficult to drill
into or chisel out.

kw