Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v51gfu$2kg3e$2@dont-email.me>

From: "R.Wieser" <address@is.invalid>
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Android keyboard: your choice.
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2024 16:53:15 +0200

Arno,

> The contacts permission is off by default in this app and is only needed
> when you enable "Suggest Contact names" in the "Text correction" settings.

"The contacts permission is off by default in this app" ?

That sounds like as if the app is managing its own permissions, and I *hope*
that that is not what you ment ...

But maybe you just mean that the permission will only actually be asked for
when it tries to access the contacts (and not when installing).   But how
does that make a difference ?     It still wants to access that contacts
data.

You know, my first thought was "WHY!".  The tradeoff between not having to
enter a persons name myself (so the syntax checker can make an exception for
it) and the loss of privacy is a no-brainer to me.

> Before complaining about how insecure an app is you should first check it!

Are you teling me I must be a fullblown Java programmer before I'm allowed
to mention stuff I would never want to give the permission for ?   I hope
not.

But if you think so - and with it effectivily forbidding me to open my
mouth - than I suggest you throw me into your killfile.  'Cause I've been
know to ask stuff - so I can learn from the answers and perhaps /one day/
become as knowledgeable as you and will be able to just look at some
sourcecode and figure out if its nefarious or not.

But at that time I will likely build my own apps instead. Much easier (ask
me how I know).  :-)

Regards,
Rudy Wieser