Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v51ihi$2krs8$1@dont-email.me>

From: Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-06-19 (Wednesday)
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2024 08:39:54 -0700

On 6/20/2024 6:37 AM, Dimensional Traveler wrote:
> 300: Rise of an Empire (Netflix disc rip - screencapping project)
> 300: The Sequel!  Is there really much more to say about it than that?
> Oh, a small amount of Eva Green boobies amidst massive CGI blood.  There.
>

> Dogfights 'Supersonic' (disc)

Now I have the J. J. Fad song stuck in my head.

> "The development of jet aircraft was perhaps the most significant change
> ever in air combat.  The stories of those who tested these aircraft in
> the early stages and in battle are told here, and some of the greatest
> supersonic air fights are recreated."
> Of note, there has only been one confirmed air to air gun kill at
> supersonic speed.  An F-4E shot down a MiG over Vietnam in 1972 at Mach
> 1.2.
>

> What Did You Watch?

I had a day of rest and relaxation and watched:

Dark Matter (AppleTV+) - "Jupiter" - SPOILERS! -
SPOILERS
At the end of last week's episode Jason walked into a gun store to buy a
gun.  He walked out and left.  Then Jason walked into the same gun store
to buy a gun.  At the end of the episode I was confused as to which
Jason was which.  This week's episode explains the confusion.  Turns out
within the infinite multiverse where each decision can create a new
universe, there are now an infinite number of Jason's trying to make
their way back to the same Earth.  And they are now all starting to show
up!  In a major revelation Daniela now knows there are multiple Jasons
from the multiverse, but *which* Jason is the real Jason?  They *all* are.

Presumed Innocent (AppleTV+) - "Discovery" - The show continues to move
at a snails pace, but I guess it's holding my interest.  This week they
talk discovery.

The Nutty Professor (4K disc) 1963 comedy starring Jerry Lewis as a
geeky college professor who creates a potion that turns him cool.  Holds
up well enough.  It was mostly background noise with a Jerry Lewis
commentary track.

The Nutty Professor (blu-ray) 1996 comedy starring Eddie Murphy as an
overweight college professor who creates a potion that turns him cool.
I guess it's OK.  It was mostly background noise.

Nutty Professor II: The Klumps (blu-ray) 2000 sequel which has Eddie
Murphy once again playing an overweight college professor and his thin
inner id.  It wasn't very funny.  This was mostly background noise with
the director's commentary.  The director spent the commentary justifying
all the fart jokes.

Justice League vs. the Fatal Five (4K disc) 2019 DC animated movie.  One
of things I noticed about the stand-alones is they usually bring back
the voice actors from the original Justice League show, and I think they
might be in continuity with the original series, but I can't say for
sure.  Anyway, this one starts out 1,000 years in the future with 3
members of the Fatal Five breaking into League headquarters and stealing
a time machine  They escape to present day with "Star Boy" latched on
trying to stop them, but when they arrive Star Boy winds up in Arkham
Asylum thanks to a mental health issue that's easily treated in the
future, but not so much in the present.  Meanwhile the villains, who
were trapped in the time machine, are eventually freed by the League to
continue with their evil mission.  Overall this was a pretty good movie.
  The Green Lantern sequences in particular were great.  "It's Star Boy.
  I'm a superhero."

Batman: Hush (4K disc) 2019 DC animated movie set in the DCAMU. Bruce
Wayne starts to date Selina Kyle while Batman starts to date Catwoman.
What could go wrong?  Meanwhile pretty much Batman's entire rogue
gallery decides to make a go at him under the direction of the
mysterious "Hush." Pretty good movie.

Wonder Woman: Bloodlines (4K disc) 2019 DC animated movie set in the
DCAMU.  After a short backstory showing when Diana met Steve Trevor and
came to the U.S. the movie jumps ahead to present day and has Wonder
Woman having to save her people from a team up of villains.  This was
better than I remembered.  Towards the end I was thinking they should
have used some of these plot elements and fight scenes for the live
action movie!