Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v56r1i$3qg7n$14@dont-email.me>

From: FPP <fredp1571@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: California Bans Non-White Paper Shooting Targets
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2024 11:36:18 -0400

On 6/20/24 10:28 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> In article <v52m0i$2usni$6@dont-email.me>, FPP <fredp1571@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 6/20/24 2:02 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
>>> Ah, California... the stupidity never stops. <sigh>
>>>
>>> This is the target we used for requals. We always questioned why it is that
>>> we were only shooting white guys.
>>>
>>> --------------------
>>> https://americancop.com/banning-targets/
>>>
>>> Since at least 2013, a tremendous number of agencies have suffered from
>>> "Good Idea Fairy" visits. Išm specifically addressing those "good ideas"
>>> that will reportedly fix society's ills but have little to no factual
>>> foundation. Generally, these stem from politicians "doing something" to fix
>>> a problem.
>>>
>>> Some of these include-- claiming there is no national standard for using
>>> force while trying to throw out Graham v Connor, ignoring SCOTUS rulings
>>> like United States v Whren to attack pro-active policing, or protesting the
>>> release of positive body-worn camera footage.
>>>
>>> Then, we had wholesale changes to various penal codes. These came from the
>>> various legislative bodies and ballot initiatives. One is California's
>>> Proposition 47-- deceptively titled (by Kamala Harris, no less) "the Safe
>>> Neighborhoods and Schools Act". It radically elevated the dollar threshold
>>> for felonies while mandating citations versus custodial bookings and no
>>> practical consequences. Then, there are the various bail łreform˛ efforts.
>>> No need to make bail while releasing people without consequences.
>>>
>>> California now has Senate Bill 1020 working its way through the system.
>>> After passing the state senate, it is going to the Assembly. The bill will
>>> ban any paper shooting target in which the subject's race can be
>>> identified. Suppose it passes California's Assembly and is signed by the
>>> governor. In that case, cops in my old state will lose valuable training
>>> tools. In addition to targets that aid in judgment, they will lose one way
>>> that removes "novelty"--new or previously unseen problems-- from training.
>>> State Senator Steven Bradford authored the bill.
>>>
>>> After hearing about SB-1020, I looked at Braford's web page. It mentions
>>> the intent of the bill is to correct "inherent racial bias that certain
>>> ethnic groups are more dangerous". I wonder if his staff looked at the Law
>>> Enforcement Officers Killed & Assaulted data. Data, not opinion.
>>>
>>> SB1020 would enact Penal Code section 13658, which reads:
>>>
>>> (a) Each law enforcement agency and police academy basic course presenter
>>> shall have a policy prohibiting the use of ethnic shooting targets for any
>>> training, qualification, competition, or other range activities that are
>>> sponsored by the agency or academy, presenter, take place on any agency or
>>> academy presenter property, or involve the participation of any agency or
>>> academy presenter personnel or academy trainees. those attending a basic
>>> course.
>>>
>>> (b) The policy described in subdivision (a) shall also prohibit providing
>>> ethnic shooting targets to any peace officer or trainee basic course
>>> attendee for personal use.
>>>
>>> (c) As used in this section, the following definitions apply:
>>>
>>> (1) "Ethnic shooting target" means any physical range target that depicts a
>>> human form or part of a human form that includes skin colors or facial
>>> features from which a person might reasonably discern a race or ethnicity
>>> of the person depicted. An "ethnic shooting target" does not include a
>>> silhouette target or a human form target with a nonhuman skin color such as
>>> green or blue that does not have facial features.
>>>
>>> How does that improve law enforcement's performance in deadly force
>>> situations? Does it result in better judgment skills? Does it positively
>>> impact the Donšt Shoot/Shoot decision-making process?
>>>

>> Sorry you don't have the right to indulge your racist fantasies any more.
>> (Sorry, not sorry...)
>
> If I actually had those fantasies, I definitely would still have that
> right.
>
> This law would only apply to police agencies and other governmental
> bodies. Private citizens can still shoot at whatever paper pictures they
> want. If the government tried to outlaw that, it would be a violation of
> the 1st Amendment.
>
> Sorry that the Constitution is still getting in the way of your ability
> to dictate what others can do and say.
>
> (Sorry, not sorry...)

Kinda did no such thing.  I didn't address that at all.
Some people like to fantasize shooting people.

You do it all the time.

--
On May 30, 2024 Donald J. Trump was unanimously convicted on 34 felony
counts in New York City... so I took this picture in my side yard.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0es3xolxka455iw/BetterThingsToDo.jpg?dl=0

"Thou shalt not make a machine in the likeness of a man’s mind." - OC
Bible  25B.G.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ek8kap93bmk0q5w/D%20U%20N%20E%20Part%20II.jpg?dl=0