Article <v5702k$3rglh$2@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v5702k$3rglh$2@dont-email.me>

From: Frank Krygowski <frkrygow@sbcglobal.net>
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: Disc brake maintenance tips
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2024 13:02:11 -0400

On 6/22/2024 1:05 AM, John B. wrote:

> As I've mentioned before I frequently see a little 6 or 7 year old
> girl charging down the street chasing her brother - Very doubtful that
> she has read a bicycle "How to do" book.

True. Little kids rolling around quiet residential streets don't need to
know much. People who don't venture off isolated, flat bike trails don't
need to know much. A person's needs depend on what a person wants to
accomplish.

Also, John Forester used to say that education was not the only way to
learn competent bicycling skills. He said that there have always been
some who arrived at the best techniques by trial and error - although
the "error" bit can obviously be dangerous. There have always been some
who learned from others - the classic case being club cyclists who
gradually learn by talking to and observing more expert club members.

A parallel might be machine shop skills. A sixteen year old kid who
watched some professional machinists and snuck into the shop after hours
to practice could possibly become halfway competent. But compared to
organized training, that's a very inefficient and hazardous way to learn.

And I'll note that if a person has not read one of the relevant cycling
books and/or not taken one of the relevant cycling courses, they have no
idea of the content. They have no idea what they're missing, or dismissing.

--
- Frank Krygowski