Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v57jm2$3uoeo$3@dont-email.me>

From: "Ian J. Ball" <ijball@mac.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: Selected programming for June 22-25, 2024
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2024 15:36:50 -0700

On 6/22/24 2:00 PM, Robin Miller wrote:

> RM: The programming list for the second half of the week will be
> released later today.
>

>          Previously released:
>

> Aftersun       (movie)           (Netflix, June 21)
>
> Through real and imagined memories, Sophie recalls her efforts to bond
> with her unknowable dad on a father-daughter trip to Turkey 20 years
> earlier. 2022 British film starring Paul Mescal, Frankie Corio, and
> Celia Rowlson-Hall. 1h 42m.

Damn. This was on another streamer (Max, maybe?...). If it's now on The
Netflix, I've probably lost my window to watch it.

>          Saturday, June 22
>

> The Bad Orphan      (movie)       (8 pm, Lifetime Channel)
>
> The psychological drama centers on Jessica (Betsy Brandt) and Karl (Mark
> Taylor), loving parents to Rhiannon (Eve Edwards), who after years of
> trying to add to their family are elated to adopt Gabby (Chloe Coco
> Chapman), an 8-year-old orphan born with personal challenges. Their
> ideas of a perfect family come into question when they discover that
> Gabby is a troubled little girl, and the family begins to believe things
> aren’t what they seem. As the unsettling behavior of their “child”
> worsens and lies are uncovered, cracks in the family dynamic form with
> Jessica becoming increasingly concerned that adopted daughter Gabby is a
> threat to their family.

I think I may skip this - I've been binging "Daisy Jones & The Six"
today, and I may just finish it out. (All 10 episodes!!)

> Two Scoops of Italy     (movie)        (8 pm, Hallmark Channel)
>
> When an American chef travels to a quaint village in Italy for
> inspiration, she falls in love with the flavors, culture, gelato, and
> the Italian gentleman who helps her discover it all. Stars Hunter King
> and Michele Rosiello.
>
> https://www.hallmarkchannel.com/two-scoops-of-italy
>
> https://www.imdb.com/title/tt32422182/

Does Hunter King really want to be tied to Hallmark?! She's a little
young for that. Hell, even Jocelyn Hudon got herself out!

> Note: The movie "Continental Split" was originally scheduled to premiere
> today on Tubi, but it has been pushed to June 29.

Boo!!

>          Sunday, June 23
>

> TMZ Presents: Famous & Naked      (special)        (3:01 am, Tubi)
>
> Celebrities are showing it all online and raking in fortunes. Join TMZ
> in examining Hollywood’s fascination with getting naked on the Internet.
> One hour.

I bet Anim is right: no actual nudity here!!

> Discovering Love      (movie)        (7 pm, UPtv)
>
> An archeology professor must team up with a
> dig-first-ask-questions-later treasure hunter to find the long-lost
> crown of Helen of Troy. Stars Liliana Tandon and Tim Rogan. [This
> appears to be the actual premiere of this film.]

I actually know who Tandon is, but I have no interest in this one.

> Devil on Campus: The Larry Ray Story     (movie)       (8 pm, Lifetime
> Channel)
>
> When ex-convict Larry Ray (Billy Zane) unexpectedly moves into his
> daughter’s dorm, he enthralls her friends with conversations and
> promises to help them with personal transformations by preying on their
> insecurities and fears. Under Ray’s influence, the students uncover
> false memories of childhood trauma that Ray uses to further alienate
> them from their families. As the students continue to fall under Ray’s
> control, he begins to target their friends and family, extending his
> reach of emotional, financial, sexual abuse and mental manipulation. As
> the students get pulled deeper into the cult, Ray’s control moves from
> emotional and mental to sexual as well, creating a web of lies and
> deceit. Tedra Rogers, Frankie Warren, Alexis Sides, Erin Walsh, and
> Elizabeth Röhm co-star.
>
> https://www.mylifetime.com/movies/devil-on-campus-the-larry-ray-story
>
> https://play.mylifetime.com/movies/devil-on-campus-the-larry-ray-story/preview-devil-on-campus-the-larry-ray-story
>
> https://www.imdb.com/title/tt32094258/

Will watch.

> Billy the Kid       (season 2 finale)        (9 pm, MGM+)

Nobody gets MGM+!!  ;p

> When Calls the Heart       (season 11 finale; renewed for season 12)  (9
> pm, Hallmark Channel)

[sigh]

> Orphan Black: Echoes         [new]           (10 pm, AMC/BBC America)
>
> Set in the same world as "Orphan Black," which ended its five-season run
> in 2017, "Echoes" comes from a different writer (Anna Fishko, Fear the
> Walking Dead), though original series co-creator John Fawcett is on
> board as a producer and director. Another key change: The new series
> features an all-new cast and characters as it jumps forward in time to
> the year 2052, when a mysterious new cloning experiment leaves a group
> of women attempting to figure out who they are. Krysten Ritter heads a
> cast that also includes Keeley Hawes, James Hiroyuki Liao, Rya
> Kihlstedt, and Reed Diamond.
> [snip]
>
> Ten episodes running through August 25. The entire series will be shown
> on both AMC and BBC America.

The original was such a mess that not even Maslany could save it. So
there's no way I'm watching this just for Krysten Ritter.

>          Monday, June 24
>

>      Streaming:
>

> Out of Darkness    (movie; streaming premiere)        (3:01 am, Paramount+)
>
> In the Old Stone Age, a disparate gang of early humans band together in
> search of a new land. But when they suspect a malevolent, mystical being
> is hunting them down, the clan is forced to confront a danger they never
> envisioned. 2022 film; 1h 28m.
>
> https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7527682/   [rating 5.5]

Hmmmm.... Looks like it was a UK film. I may check this out - it's
"horror" afterall!!

>          Tuesday, June 25
>

>      Streaming:
>

> I Am: Celine Dion     (documentary)        (12:01 am, Prime Video)
>
> This is a journey inside Celine Dion's life as she reveals her battle
> with Stiff Person Syndrome. 1h 42m.

All for Anim!!  ;p

> TikTok Star Murders        (reality special)        (3:01 am, Peacock)

Dang - I was hoping this was either an original Tubi or Lifetime flick,
not some doc!!

So, not a great start to the week...