Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v59o0e$evds$1@dont-email.me>

From: Phil Hobbs <pcdhSpamMeSenseless@electrooptical.net>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: Schematic Symbols
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2024 18:02:54 -0000 (UTC)

john larkin <jl@650pot.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Jun 2024 16:53:44 -0000 (UTC), Cursitor Doom
> <cd999666@notformail.com> wrote:
>
>> Okay, let's see if anyone can disabuse me of my ignorance on this
>> matter...
>> In the HP service manuals for their equipment they use a few different
>> symbols in their block diagrams I'm not familiar with. I can't post images
>> right now but hopefully a description will suffice.
>>
>> The first one is a circle with a Greek capital sigma inside it. What's
>> that all about? Is it an integrator? A summing amplifier? What's the deal
>> here?
>
> Summer, adder. Might just be two resistors in real life. Check the
> real schematic.
>

>> Next up: a circle with a greek theta over 'f' implying some sort of
>> division. Is that a phase to frequency comparitor?
>> A circle with a single cycle of sine wave inside it: oscillator?
>
> Probably. Some sort of sine source.
>
>> Plane triangles with nothing inside them. Do they represent generic
>> amplifiers or buffers?

Could be either. A buffer is an amplifier too.

>> A circle with just a plane theta inside it. Any ideas?
>
> Phase shifter?
>

>> A circle divided into 4 equal slices like it's got a giant 'X' inside it.
>
> Multiplier. Two inputs and one output?

Also a mixer, which of course is an approximate multiplier.

>> As per the previous one, but inside a square box.

Probably an IC multiplier.

>> A circle with a capital 'S' inside it.
>
> Stop sign.

Quadrature (cosine) source. ;)

>> A square box with two double-headed arrows inside it in a 'X' arrangement.

Possibly a crossbar switch, or a DPDT wired to interchange two lines (as
used in house wiring to allow 3 or more switches to control one circuit).

>> That just about covers it. Any assistance would be most welcome!
>>
>> Your pal,
>>
>> CD

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs  Principal Consultant  ElectroOptical Innovations LLC /
Hobbs ElectroOptics  Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics