Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v59t2i$fcoo$3@dont-email.me>

From: RonB <ronb02NOSPAM@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Need Help - Xpdf Not Rendering Text
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2024 19:29:22 -0000 (UTC)

On 2024-06-23, Chris Ahlstrom <OFeem1987@teleworm.us> wrote:
> rbowman wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:
>
>> On Sun, 23 Jun 2024 06:30:10 -0400, Andrzej Matuch wrote:
>>

>>> And they ruined it for me. Rockwell's role really needed a Brit. His
>>> attempts at humour would have worked had there been a British accent
>>> behind them.
>>
>> I don't know waht a British accent wouls add other than unintelligibility
>> ifthey laid it on too thick.
>>
>>> I read the book and thought it had its moments but I figured that by
>>> watching the movie, I would have understood a little more why some
>>> people think it's such stellar literature. In the end, if the movie is
>>> an accurate depiction of the book, I'm not impressed. Of course, the
>>> 1970s were a different time.
>>
>> I read the book decades ago and iirc I also read 'So Long and Thanks for
>> the Fish'. I don't remember much of either other than the '42' that became
>> a meme. Terry Pratchett was one of the few authors in that genre that I
>> enjoyed. In general I find the Brits take a good gag and proceed to beat
>> it to death to make sure the dimmest member of the audience gets it.
>
> I read the first couple pages of Hitchhiker and decided it was too
> twee for me. Too jocose. Too flippant.

I guess I like "flippant." I enjoyed big chunks of the books — and endured
the "connecting chunks" to get to those chunks.

   “The President in particular is very much a figurehead — he wields no
   real power whatsoever. He is apparently chosen by the government, but the
   qualities he is required to display are not those of leadership but those
   of finely judged outrage. For this reason the President is always a
   controversial choice, always an infuriating but fascinating character.
   His job is not to wield power but to draw attention away from it. On
   those criteria Zaphod Beeblebrox is one of the most successful Presidents
   the Galaxy has ever had — he has already spent two of his ten
   presidential years in prison for fraud.”

   ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy

--
[Self-centered, Woke] "pride is a life of self-destructive fakery, an
entrapment to a false and self-created matrix of twisted unreality."