Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v59udg$ft7k$1@dont-email.me>

From: wmartin <wwm@wwmartin.net>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: OT: Kids got an E-scooter?
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2024 12:51:30 -0700

On 6/23/24 09:56, Cursitor Doom wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Jun 2024 11:25:21 +1000, Bill Sloman wrote:
>
>> On 23/06/2024 9:58 am, john larkin wrote:
>>> On Sat, 22 Jun 2024 22:39:48 +0100, TTman <kraken.sankey@gmail.com>
>>> wrote

>> If you can describe it as a thought. More a deluded fantasy/

>>> If it ignites, it would burn through a steel lunchbox.
>>
>> Really? Do you have any evidence for that that claim?
>>
>> This is just more of the usual alarmist nonsense about lithium ion
>> batteries. This should be the kind of forum where we discuss the design
>> of lithium ion battery chargers and lithium ion battery condition
>> monitors - which could, in principle be designed to discharge the
>> battery if the internal temperature of the battery rose high  enough to
>> suggest a risk of runaway self-discharge.
>>
>> Cursitor Doom and John Larkin are much too devoted to their alarmist
>> fantasies to want to think  about that (always assuming that  they could
>> if they wanted to).
>>
>> --
>> Bill Sloman, Sydney
>
> Perhaps you'd like to explain to the lady who's house burned to the ground
> and her similarly stricken neighbours that this is all just an "alarmist
> fantasy" Bill.

Alarmist fantasy in action...
https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/2024/05/18/battery-fire-at-storage-facility-in-otay-mesa-keeps-reigniting/

also: (different incident) "On April 19, 2019, a fire captain, a fire
engineer and two career firefighters suffered serious injuries dealing
with a thermal runaway incident at a 2.16-megawatt battery facility in
Surprise, Arizona. According to a Underwriters Laboratories report on
the incident, When firefighters opened a door to the building, a 75-foot
jet of flame extended outward from the doorway. The fire captain was
blown over 70 feet against a chain-link fence surrounding the building.
The entire hazardous materials team lost consciousness from the blast. "

Not to be an alarmist, just be aware that even professionally managed
lithium batteries can do bad things. Don't keep them in your house...