Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v5aoj1$o68r$1@dont-email.me>

From: Bill Sloman <bill.sloman@ieee.org>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: OT: Kids got an E-scooter?
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2024 13:18:57 +1000

On 24/06/2024 5:51 am, wmartin wrote:
> On 6/23/24 09:56, Cursitor Doom wrote:

>>> If you can describe it as a thought. More a deluded fantasy/

>>> Really? Do you have any evidence for that that claim?
>>>
>>> This is just more of the usual alarmist nonsense about lithium ion
>>> batteries. This should be the kind of forum where we discuss the design
>>> of lithium ion battery chargers and lithium ion battery condition
>>> monitors - which could, in principle be designed to discharge the
>>> battery if the internal temperature of the battery rose high  enough to
>>> suggest a risk of runaway self-discharge.
>>>
>>> Cursitor Doom and John Larkin are much too devoted to their alarmist
>>> fantasies to want to think  about that (always assuming that  they could
>>> if they wanted to).
>>
>> Perhaps you'd like to explain to the lady who's house burned to the
>> ground and her similarly stricken neighbours that this is all just an "alarmist
>> fantasy" Bill.
>
> Alarmist fantasy in action...
> https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/2024/05/18/battery-fire-at-storage-facility-in-otay-mesa-keeps-reigniting/
>
> also: (different incident) "On April 19, 2019, a fire captain, a fire
> engineer and two career firefighters suffered serious injuries dealing
> with a thermal runaway incident at a 2.16-megawatt battery facility in
> Surprise, Arizona. According to a Underwriters Laboratories report on
> the incident, When firefighters opened a door to the building, a 75-foot
> jet of flame extended outward from the doorway. The fire captain was
> blown over 70 feet against a chain-link fence surrounding the building.
> The entire hazardous materials team lost consciousness from the blast. "
>
> Not to be an alarmist, just be aware that even professionally managed
> lithium batteries can do bad things. Don't keep them in your house...

"Professionally managed" just means that the people who are supposed to
look after the facility are getting paid for it. Getting paid doesn't
mean that you are doing it right.

If your lithium batteries are equipped with properly designed
temperature monitors and appropriate battery management hardware, they
won't burst into flame without generating some kind of alarm well in
advance.

The safest option is to put them somewhere where they could burn out,
but that is rarely practical.

Tesla power walls are expensive, but a separate outhouse for them would
make them even more expensive.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

www.norton.com