Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v5b0gd$pnti$1@dont-email.me>

From: Terje Mathisen <terje.mathisen@tmsw.no>
Newsgroups: comp.arch
Subject: Re: ancient OS history, ARM is sort of channeling the IBM 360
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2024 07:34:05 +0200

Lynn Wheeler wrote:

> John Levine <johnl@taugh.com> writes:
>> Not really. VS1 was basically MFT running in a single virtual address
>> space. The early versions of VS2 were SVS, MVT running in a single
>> virtual address space, and then MVS, where each job got its own
>> address space. As Lynn has often explained, OS chewed up so much of
>> the address space that they needed MVS to make enough room for
>> programs to keep doing useful work.
>
> ... also SVS single 16mbyte virtual address space (sort of like running
> MVT in CP67 16mbyte virtual machine) to "protect" regions from each
> other still used the 360 4bit storage protection key ...  so caped at 15
> concurrent regions ... but systems were getting faster, much faster than
> disks were getting faster ... so needed increasing numbers of
> concurrently executing regions ... so went to MVS ... gave each region
> its own virtual address space (to keep them isolated/protected from each
> other). But MVS was becoming increasingly bloated both in real storage
> and amount it took in each region's virtual address space .... so needed
> more than 16mbyte real storage as well as more than 16mbyte virtual
> storage.
>
> trivia: I was pontificating in the 70s about mismatch between increase
> in system throughput (memory & CPU) and increase in disk throughput. In
> early 80s wrote a tome that the relative system throughput of disk had
> declined by an order of magnitude since 360 was announced in the 60s
> (systems increase 40-50 times, disks increased 3-5 times). A disk
> division executive took exception and assigned the division performance
> group to refute my claims. After a couple of weeks, they basically came
> back and said that I had slightly understated the problem.
>
> They then respun the analysis for a (mainframe user group) SHARE
> presentation for how to configure disks for increased system throughput
> (16Aug1984, SHARE 63, B874).
>
> more recently there have been some references that cache-miss, memory
> access latency, when measured in count of processor cycles, is
> compareable to 60s disk access latency, when measure in count of 60s
> processor cycles (memory is new disk).

Not only is RAM the new disk, but last level cache is the new RAM, and
you could argue that $L1 plays the role of a vector computer register array.

The result values forwarding network is the new register array.

Yeah, the comparison does break down a bit at the very end, but going in
the opposite direction, disk (of the spinning rust variety) is an almost
perfect match for 60'ies tape: Getting to any particular spot takes a
long time, so when you get there you had better do a lot of sequential
access!

Terje

--
- <Terje.Mathisen at tmsw.no>