Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v5bbpd$rn9o$1@dont-email.me>

From: "R.Wieser" <address@is.invalid>
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Android keyboard: your choice.
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2024 09:39:18 +0200
References: <20240617114559.a2970ac2923facc44a2ec355@gmail.com> <v4ov83$j5oj$1@dont-email.me> <v4sojj$1gqik$1@dont-email.me> <lde8tqF9a76U1@mid.individual.net> <v4tkrl$1bpq$1@nnrp.usenet.blueworldhosting.com> <v4u0gu$1rom7$2@dont-email.me> <ldia57Frps7U7@mid.individual.net> <v51gfu$2kg3e$2@dont-email.me> <ldj2atFs5uU2@mid.individual.net> <v53gbe$33j85$2@dont-email.me> <ldpbr7Ftm5tU5@mid.individual.net> <v58m4l$8n7c$2@dont-email.me> <ldqr0pF5uj5U6@mid.individual.net>

Arno,

> I did not mention the app, that was "Henry The Mole"
> <henrythemole@mckenziesfarm.old> in his post on June 17, 2024.

He was the first to suggest it.  You shoved it forward several times after
him.

> I just tried explained how I came to the conclusion that it does not
> abuse private data

Thts pretty-much the problem : you're still talking about a(n specific) app,
while my focus was-and-is on the permission.

And although you are right that the absense of the INTERNET permission for
that app seems to indicate that exfiltration isn't possible*, I do not leave
my safe open because I've locked the front door.

*though at least one person here seems to think that Google can exfiltrate
without it.

But yes, looking at the apps manifest I do not recognise any way in which it
could.  On the other hand, that doesn't mean much, as I'm a newbie in this
(why do you think I have been asking about it?), and I could easily miss
another permissions unwanted interaction.

The end result ?  Especially with privacy related permission I don't allow
what I do not see any need for and can be done differently.  Which, for this
case, I explained that several days back.

> I also repeatetly suggested *not* to trust me blindly but to ask someone
> else
> who is able to understand the source code of Heliboard

I do not have anyone in my neighbourhood who could, or even wanted to do
that.   They just install the stuff and trust it into high-heaven.

> and maybe even compile your own version based on that code to be sure what
> you get!

:-)  I seem to remember that, in relation to you making the same claim
earlier, I asked you if you also vetted the libraries that an app uses.  I
did not hear anything back, so I take  that as a "no".   And as chances will
have it the website I mentioned before also posted articles about how app
builders sometimes build malicious apps - not because they intended to do
so, but simply because they used third-party libraries that contained the
malicious code.

Besides, I think also mentioned that I do not (yet?) have access to both the
knowledge needed for it, or the tools to do so.

Regards,
Rudy Wieser