Article <v5dob9$1e5og$3@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v5dob9$1e5og$3@dont-email.me>

From: Sebastian Wells <sebastian@here.com.invalid>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: =?UTF-8?B?U3lzdMOobWU=?= D
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2024 06:33:14 -0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 25 Jun 2024 05:54:34 -0000 (UTC), Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> On Sun, 19 May 2024 09:03:06 -0000 (UTC), Sebastian wrote:
>
>> Even Devuan, whose reason for existence is to be a Systemd-free Debian,
>> had to use a fork of systemd-logind rather than just handling sessions
>> the pre-Systemd way, because so many things have been made to depend on
>> it.
>
> Surely they could come up with their own system for handling login
> sessions. Just start with the code from before systemd came along.

The problem is that Devuan is still based on Debian, so they have to
constantly take new Systemd-based packages from Debian and make them
work without Systemd. They will probably be overwhelmed at some point,
and then the entire distro will collapse. The same will probably happen
to other non-Systemd Linux distros. Those of us who still refuse to
run Systemd will have no choice but to install a BSD operating system.
I'll probably do that sooner rather than later.