Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v5emt8$1k03c$1@dont-email.me>

From: The Last Doctor <mike@xenocyte.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho
Subject: Re: Doctor Who 2024 and its position in the UK TV charts
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2024 15:14:48 -0000 (UTC)

The Doctor <doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca> wrote:
> In article <v5e568$1gmr6$1@dont-email.me>,
> The Last Doctor  <mike@xenocyte.com> wrote:
>> I'm not going to talk about the absolute numbers - TV viewing in the UK
>> has undergone a seismic shift over the last few years, with all shows
>> having a marked decline in ratings in the official surveys. the raw
>> numbers don't tell a story any more.
>>
>> Instead, let's concentrate on Doctor Who's relative performance compared
>> to other TV. So, looking at the BBC's preferred measure of 7-day
>> consolidated ratings, in terms of short-run scripted scripted fiction
>> (excluding factual and non-fictional light entertainment, and the 3- and
>> 4- times a week soaps) - how is Doctor Who ACTUALLY performing?
>>
>> In terms of its performance for the BBC, the new season of Doctor Who
>> has achieved, in the 6 weeks reported to date since Ncuti took the baton
>> from David as the lead:
>>
>> #2, #2 and #3, #2, #2, #1, #1.
>>
>> Don't believe the doomsayers. The total audience numbers aren't what
>> they were - but Doctor Who remains an enduring success for the BBC and
>> RTD. Disney may renew after next year, or they may not - but the show's
>> not going anywhere. No wonder RTD has half a dozen scripts in
>> development for 2026 already.
>>

> The BBC might not renew with Bad Wolf.

Not renew a drama that was the BBC’s best or second best rated scripted
show throughout its run?

Why on Earth would they do that unless they stop producing drama
altogether? (In which case Bad Wolf would likely negotiate a license to
continue, and sell the show to a streamer, much as Big Finish have been
doing for audio for the last 25 years).

--
“Most of the Universe is knackered, babes.”  - The Doctor