Article <v5evoi$1lgoi$1@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v5evoi$1lgoi$1@dont-email.me>

From: olcott <polcott333@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic
Subject: Re: DDD correctly emulated by H0 -- Ben agrees that Sipser approved
 criteria is met
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2024 12:45:54 -0500

On 6/25/2024 9:46 AM, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> Hi, Ben.
>
> Ben Bacarisse <ben@bsb.me.uk> wrote:
>> Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de> writes:

>>> [ .... ]

>>> I think you are talking at cross purposes.  Joes's point is that H0
>>> should terminate because it's a decider.  You're saying that when H0 is
>>> "correctly" emulating, it won't terminate.  I don't recall seeing anybody
>>> arguing against that.
>
>>> So you're saying, in effect, H0 is not a decider.  I don't think anybody
>>> else would argue against that, either.
>
>> He's been making exactly the same nonsense argument for years.  It
>> became crystal clear a little over three years ago when he made the
>> mistake of posting the pseudo-code for H -- a step by step simulator
>> that stopped simulating (famously on line 15) when some pattern was
>> detected.  He declared false (not halting) to be the correct result for
>> the halting computation H(H_Hat(), H_Hat()) because of what H(H_Hat(),
>> H_Hat()) would do "if line 15 were commented out"!
>
>> PO does occasionally make it clear what the shell game is.
>
> I think it's important for (relative) newcomers to the newsgroup to
> become aware of this.  Each one of them is trying to help PO improve his
> level of learning.  They will eventually give up, as you and I have
> done, recognising (as Mike Terry, in particular, has done) that
> enriching PO's intellect is a quite impossible task.
>
> What's the betting he'll respond to this post with his usual short
> sequence of x86 assembly code together with a demand to recognise
> something or other as non-terminating?
>
>> --
>> Ben.

<MIT Professor Sipser agreed to ONLY these verbatim words 10/13/2022>
     If simulating halt decider H correctly simulates its input D
     until H correctly determines that its simulated D would never
     stop running unless aborted then

     H can abort its simulation of D and correctly report that D
     specifies a non-halting sequence of configurations.

On 10/14/2022 7:44 PM, Ben Bacarisse wrote:
 > I don't think that is the shell game. PO really /has/ an H
 > (it's trivial to do for this one case) that correctly determines
 > that P(P) *would* never stop running *unless* aborted.
 >
 > He knows and accepts that P(P) actually does stop. The
 > wrong answer is justified by what would happen if H
 > (and hence a different P) where not what they actually are.

Ben thinks that I tricked professor Sipser into agreeing
with something that he did not fully understand.

*The real issue is that no one here sufficiently understands*
*the highlighted portion of the following definition*

Computable functions are the formalized analogue of the
intuitive notion of algorithms, in the sense that a
function is computable if there exists an algorithm
that can do the job of the function, i.e.

*given an input of the function domain*
*it can return the corresponding output*

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computable_function