Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v5h5ra$25dg9$1@dont-email.me>

From: Bill Sloman <bill.sloman@ieee.org>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: how the laser happened
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2024 23:41:56 +1000

On 26/06/2024 8:41 am, john larkin wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Jun 2024 17:43:56 -0400, Joe Gwinn <joegwinn@comcast.net>
> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 25 Jun 2024 08:19:03 -0700, john larkin <jl@650pot.com> wrote:

<snip>

> I see the same thing in electronic design. People favor accepted
> practice, validated in textbooks, and apply all their intelligence to
> showing how new ideas won't work.

I can't say I've seen that. I've seen quite a few bad ideas put up by
people who should have known better, but since some of my occasional
good ideas have (even more occasionally) lead to patents, it doesn't
reflect my experience.

> A recent case is deciding that the LC's at the output of a switching
> power supply are "a filter" so must follow  classical filter theory,
> pole-zeros and Butterworths and such. I tell them "It's just a power
> supply."

In other words you don't know much about filter theory, and couldn't
justify the damping factor you had chosen. Heavily damped filters tend
to be much more phase linear than the more lightly damped faster-rolling
off variants.

"It's just a power supply" is a pretty obvious cop-out.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

www.norton.com