Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v5htd7$2agmq$1@dont-email.me>

From: Janis Papanagnou <janis_papanagnou+ng@hotmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Subject: Re: [OT] Reinheitsgebot and Beer without C
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2024 22:24:06 +0200
 <20240623034624.135@kylheku.com> <87wmmfq4if.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
 <20240624012527.8bbe16b96f5bfca10feadb5c@gmail.moc>
 <87zfrbnsvv.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <v5aeue$j1nj$4@dont-email.me>
 <87ikxyobls.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <v5ctt1$15hrn$3@dont-email.me>
 <20240624180824.534@kylheku.com> <87v81xmasc.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
 <v5g2ak$1v4v9$3@dont-email.me> <20240625221205.84@kylheku.com>
 <v5gl3c$22fsh$1@dont-email.me> <20240626035330.813@kylheku.com>
 <v5gtir$242v6$1@dont-email.me> <20240626155401.00004823@yahoo.com>
 <v5hc9j$26nc7$1@dont-email.me> <20240626203741.00007c17@yahoo.com>

On 26.06.2024 19:37, Michael S wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Jun 2024 17:32:01 +0200
> Janis Papanagnou <janis_papanagnou+ng@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> There's some "foreign" (from German perspective) beer [...]
>
> When I wrote "foreign-style" rather than "foreign" I meant [...]

Oh, that was coincidental; I haven't noticed at that point that
you used a similar term. I just put it in quotes because I have
some fundamental aversion how the term is often [politically]
used and instrumentalized.

>> Wasn't "Bud" (if you mean the abbreviated form of "Budweiser") a beer
>> from the Czech Republic? (Since you mentioned American beers here?)
>
> I would think that when people say Bud they pretty much always mean
> American mass market Budweiser beer rather then Czech beer with
> similar name (Budějovický Budvar).

This is interesting. - Looking that up I just read about a court
case from 1907 where the US American company who was inspired by
the Czech Budweiser beer and the original European company agreed
that the US American company may call their beer Budweise only on
the North-American continent, and the Czech company in Europe.
Various name conflicts concerning that trade name were continued
until 2014 and no clear "winner" evolved, they write, and that in
the EU they consequently sell that [American] beer as "Bud".

The bottles I remember to have seen here in Germany was [1] (the
Czech one). I don't recall to have seen the US companies bottle [2]
here. (But that's just me, of course.)

Janis

[1]
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/58/Budvar_UK.JPG/220px-Budvar_UK.JPG