Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v5i681$2c638$1@dont-email.me>

From: Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho
Subject: Re: Doctor Who 2024 and its position in the UK TV charts
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2024 10:54:58 +1200

On 2024-06-26 13:48:52 +0000, Blueshirt said:

> Your Name wrote:

>>> A new UK government and possible changes to the TV licence
>>> fee at some stage in the future, coupled with lack of
>>> investment from outside sources, could - in theory - affect
>>> a lot of BBC TV shows long term. The traditional television
>>> landscape is changing. (Maybe that's one of the reasons why
>>> the BBC partnered with Disney in the first place.)
>>
>> That alone would be an incredibly silly reason.
>
> On it's own, yes. But what of the future, maybe more BBC shows
> could end up on Disney+ as opposed to Netflix/Prime as the BBC
> have some sort of ongoing relationship with them?
>
>> The BBC already has it's own streaming service within the UK,
>> and most of their partner networks in other countries will
>> also already have their own streaming services - and in the
>> case of countries where it was broadcast on free-to-air
>> channels, the streaming service is also usually free. By
>> selling the international streaming to only Disney+, they've
>> massively lowered their potential audience
>
> Money will always talk!
>
>> The real reason simply comes down to money - Disney offered a
>> huge amount and the BBC jumped at it. The viewers / fans were
>> irrelevant, as usual.
>
> Of course, but what were Disney expecting from their investment?
> Doctor Who is a UK produced TV show and Disney, for whatever sum
> they invested, can't even stream Doctor Who on Disney+ in the
> UK, or Ireland come to that matter. So they have invested money
> in a UK TV show for their US and international markets... so
> they must see a bigger picture.

They see that Doctor Who is a long running TV show with a large fan
base in many countries. Disney thinks that by having exclusive rights,
they will suddenly get all (or at least a lot) those international fans
buying Disney+ subscriptions ... which is a misguided belief at best.

> The BBC will take help from wherever it can get it... anyone
> paying attention the the end credits of Doctor Who episodes will
> spot the harp of Ireland logo because the Irish government has
> provided some sort of support to its production. So the BBC were
> never going to turn away Disney dollars!

And in a few years time they'll wonder why they've got such a pitifully
small number of overseas viewers compared to when it was available on
normal TV networks. Management and bean counters do not see any "big
picture". They simply see dollar signs to increase their own bank
accounts now.