Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v5ik01$2i4kk$1@dont-email.me>

From: Phil Hobbs <pcdhSpamMeSenseless@electrooptical.net>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: how the laser happened
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2024 02:49:37 -0000 (UTC)

john larkin <jl@650pot.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Jun 2024 17:43:56 -0400, Joe Gwinn <joegwinn@comcast.net>
> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 25 Jun 2024 08:19:03 -0700, john larkin <jl@650pot.com> wrote:

>>> I know a guy who built a HeNe. It wasn't hard.

>>> Too many powerful old farts declare things to be impossible.
>>
>> .<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planck%27s_principle>
>>
>> This is often paraphrased as "Science progresses one funeral at a
>> time".
>>
>> Joe Gwinn
>
> I see the same thing in electronic design. People favor accepted
> practice, validated in textbooks, and apply all their intelligence to
> showing how new ideas won't work.
>
> A recent case is deciding that the LC's at the output of a switching
> power supply are "a filter" so must follow  classical filter theory,
> pole-zeros and Butterworths and such. I tell them "It's just a power
> supply."

Classical filter theory is very useful for designing a power supply , as
long as you don’t just wave some canned design over it like a dead chicken.

Controlling rolloff and ringing over a wide range of conditions is easier
with a bit of theory—you can estimate the overshoot via the Q of the
network, for instance.

Canned designs such as Butterworth, Chebyshev, and so on assume constant,
resistive source and load. While that’s a useful fiction in lots of
signal-level applications, it’s not remotely true in a power supply.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs  Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC / Hobbs ElectroOptics  Optics,