Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v5jdh7$2lq4f$1@dont-email.me>

From: Abandoned Trolley <fred@fred-smith.co.uk>
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,uk.telecom.mobile,comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Carriers are only slowly adapting to iOS 18 beta RCS integration
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2024 11:05:28 +0100

> <https://webstrategiesblog.com/apples-rcs-adoption-in-ios-18/>
>
> <https://www.campaignregistry.com/a-monumental-day-for-rcs-apples-adoption-and-the-future-of-messaging/>
>
> Of course Apple does not really like that, since they are more or less
> forced to support RCS and would prefer keeping their users in their own
> golden cage with iMessage. But nevertheless - when iOS and Android both
> support RCS and RCS is mandatory, there is no reason why it should be
> around as universal standard similar to SMS nowadays.

Neither of those "news" items add anything to the discussion, and
there’s nothing to suggest that using the RCS service will ever be
mandatory.

Right at the moment, I can’t think of anybody who is missing out on a
"messaging" platform. The sending or sharing of text / pictures and
other media is well catered for, along with enough apps for voice and
video telephony with our without the aid of Apple - and almost anything
can be attached to an email.

SMS may be a "universal" standard but its unreliable and has no
guaranteed level of service - ESMCP has been developed in order to avoid
using it. So it seems curious to me that global SMS volumes continue to
grow

Whatever it is that RCS is going to bring to this party, I think it will
have to be fairly spectacular and probably free at the point of service
otherwise I am not sure how it’s going to grow in a already saturated
market.

If Apple don’t work out some way of tuning it in to a revenue stream
then they will soon lose interest