Article <v5jsh6$2p6ko$1@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v5jsh6$2p6ko$1@dont-email.me>

From: AMuzi <am@yellowjersey.org>
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: Disc brake maintenance tips
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2024 09:21:25 -0500

On 6/27/2024 8:53 AM, Catrike Ryder wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Jun 2024 07:49:36 -0500, AMuzi <am@yellowjersey.org> wrote:
>
>> On 6/27/2024 4:01 AM, Catrike Ryder wrote:

>>> People believe riding in vehicle traffic is dangerous because they can
>>> see for themselves that it is, not because of someone telling them
>>> that it is. There are thousands of non-injury, vehicle fender bender
>>> accidents every day that would result in serious injury if it involved
>>> a bicyclist.

>>> Krygowski is stumbling over his "facts." If, as he says, people don't
>>> commute unless they can use special facilities, then there would be
>>> increased commuting with the ever increasing miles of bike facilities.
>>>
>>> Clearly, people are not shunning bicycle commuting simply because they
>>> believe it's dangerous.
>>
>> OK that's considered.  But recreational cyclists (you, for
>> example) can choose routes wherever they prefer and you
>> prefer cycle/pedestrian only. Which is fine.
>>
>> Commuter/utility cyclists don't have that luxury of choice
>> and either learn to ride in a real world of 3000lb hurtling
>> missiles piloted by distracted/high/homicidal killers or
>> suffer from 'frisson de voiture' events.
>
> I understand and respect those who ride in those conditions. I also
> understand why so many don't.
>
> But as I and others have said, building the bike lanes and MUPs don't
> seem to be increasing the numbers of commuter/utility cyclists. There
> are reasons other than the obvious dangers that people shun those
> cycling activities.
>
>> Whether you appreciate Mr Forester's work or not, that
>> behavior in traffic is eventually picked up to some greater
>> or lesser extent by cyclists amid auto traffic everywhere.
>> Reifying Mr Forester as an outlier is a weak argument IMHO.
>
> Forester argued against bicycle infrastructure. Thank goodness his
> agenda failed and thus recreational bicycling has grown as had the
> manufacture and sales of bicycles.
>
> Forester encouraged already known, common sense cyclist behavior for
> people who choose to ride amongst vehicles. I don't understand why so
> many people pay him homage.

OK, I agree, reification from both extremes.

And your cycling is a good example of infrastructure which
is useful to you. Magnitude, extent and cost are legitimate
public policy discussions ( or conflicts, if you will).

Antipersonnel devices in traffic lanes, wrong-way green
paint lanes and so on are much less defensible.
--
Andrew Muzi
am@yellowjersey.org