Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v5kq09$2ul7i$1@dont-email.me>

From: Klaus Vestergaard Kragelund <klauskvik@hotmail.com>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Estimation of magnetic field strength of radiated immunity test
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2024 00:44:25 +0200

Hi

Normally when testing a product for radiated immunity one would apply a
field of 10V/m at a distance of 3m, to determine if the product is
susceptible to external incoming radiated fields.

In my specific case, we have a 3MW converter which has quite high
internal fields, so I am doing an alternative test.

In this test, I have measured the magnetic field at a certain point in
the cabinet next to the sub-block I am working on. That way I know the
magnetic field at this point, and the idea is then when we need to go to
the approval body to test radiated immunity, that we will set the level
of the antenna to match the recorded level next to the sub-block.

Specifically I have used a near field probe to and measured a H field of
30A/m at this sub-block at 1MHz.

The near field probe voltage was recorded with a scope and in my lab I
wound a coil and ran a 1MHz signal through the coil until I got the same
level, then calculated the field with H = Iapplied*nturns/coilheight

In the approvals test, the antenna is 3m away. Normally they use a level
of 10V/m and for far field approximation using 377ohm, the H field from
the antenna is H = 10V/m / 377ohm = 0.03A/m.

At 1MHz, the wavelength is far above 3m, so the antenna will be in the
near field, so the resistance is 60ohms, and the field decays with 1/r^2
distance since it's close to a magnetic field.

Anyway, it seems the field needed at the antenna for this test would be
VERY large to generate H field of 30A/m 3meter from the antenna.

How do I calculate that level and any inputs into if my reasoning above
is correct?

I know that when you move into the near field, it's hard to predict the
far field level, but in this case is seems since I am operating at 1MHz
that both the antenna and DUT is in the near field...

Thanks

Klaus