Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v5mtde$ij$1@nnrp.usenet.blueworldhosting.com>

From: Andrew <andrew@spam.net>
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,uk.telecom.mobile
Subject: Re: Carriers are only slowly adapting to iOS 18 beta RCS integration
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2024 17:54:55 -0000 (UTC)

Andy Burns wrote on Fri, 28 Jun 2024 12:38:11 +0100 :

>> all functionalities of RCS are already available.
>> More secure, faster and more private.
>
> Only if I choose to use WhatsApp/FBmessenger (which I won't), or I
> persuade my friends to use Signal/Telegram (which I won't).

I think the iPhone users are so used to constantly logging into Apple's
metadata-tracking servers that they don't even realize that their iPhones
are essentially dumb terminals in concept - in that they love the walled
garden but they don't realize the only reason things work inside the walled
garden so well is that they're all logging into the same Apple servers.

Android users are not used to logging into servers just to do messaging.

Note: This isn't to say that Android users don't habitually log into Google
servers, as they certainly do; but the difference is Android works just
fine without any Google Account set up on the phone (ask me how I know).

Note: I own plenty of iOS devices and I know full well that the iPhone and
iPad are designed by Apple to be dumb terminals in terms of everything they
love about the walled garden fails to work if they don't log into it daily.

>> Please explain in detail if you have a different view.
>
> RCS being universally available will be an advantage.

While I'm on record for not caring about RCS with Android...

RCS should help in platform compatibility and RCS should help four ways:
1. Those who pay for MMS will get to use RCS for free, instead.
2. Large video/audio will be platform compatible
3. Group chats won't be mangled on iPhones
4. RCS adds something about read receipts I'm not familiar with

I'm not sure about encryption though, Andy.
What's the situation with RCS encryption currently between iOS & Android?