Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v5nhnl$3ijst$1@dont-email.me>

From: The Last Doctor <mike@xenocyte.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho
Subject: Re: Doctor Who 2024 and its position in the UK TV charts
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2024 23:41:41 -0000 (UTC)

Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com> wrote:
> On 2024-06-28 12:46:10 +0000, solar penguin said:
>> The idiot insisted:

>>> IT is good luck to destry the timeless child from Doctor Who.
>>
>> So now you’re claiming it’s the exact opposite of an albatross?
>>
>> In ‘The Ancient Mariner’ the albatross brings the ship good luck
>> until the mariner kills it, then the luck all turns bad.
>>
>> Which is it? Make up your mind!
>
> The village idiot is alluding to the saying about having "an albatross
> around your neck" ...
>
>     "The phrase albatross around my neck refers to
>      a heavy burden or some sort of curse that's
>      causing distress or stopping you from doing
>      something."

Yeah. The saying itself comes from the epic poem “The Rime of the Ancient
Mariner” by Samuel Taylor Coleridge. After the Mariner kills the albatross
that the crew believed was bringing them good luck, they hang it around his
neck to remind him of the curse that they think he has brought upon them.

--
“Most of the Universe is knackered, babes.”  - The Doctor