Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v5pj80$1mr2$2@dont-email.me>

From: Chris Ahlstrom <OFeem1987@teleworm.us>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Heroic Game Launcher... BRAVO!
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2024 14:19:44 -0400
 <QJmeO.13257$S_52.4415@fx08.iad> <v5ebfn$1hofv$2@dont-email.me>
 <%jzeO.125458$7NFd.43488@fx16.iad> <v5fnrs$1pj51$6@dont-email.me>
 <le1l08F77bmU2@mid.individual.net> <v5hcvu$26q5q$2@dont-email.me>
 <v5hlo7$28vb2$4@dont-email.me> <v5idtl$2d9av$2@dont-email.me>
 <v5jk86$2ndb5$6@dont-email.me> <v5jt87$2pacp$1@dont-email.me>
 <le5n9cFr71nU2@mid.individual.net> <v5kj7f$2te1q$3@dont-email.me>
 <v5mhne$3ce5l$1@dont-email.me> <v5n4ni$3g6kf$1@dont-email.me>
 <v5nfog$3i6c7$1@dont-email.me> <v5ov47$3ttk6$2@dont-email.me>
 <v5p9kp$3vo5v$1@dont-email.me>

RonB wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

> On 2024-06-29, Chris Ahlstrom <OFeem1987@teleworm.us> wrote:
>> RonB wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

>>> And what did you see?
>>
>> An endless sequence of expanding strings.  ;->
>>
>>     https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_First_Three_Minutes
>>
>>     Early in the book, Weinberg explores the origins and implications of the
>>     Hubble constant, that the red shift of galaxies is proportional to their
>>     distance, and how this is evidence for the expansion of the Universe. He
>>     introduces the Cosmological Principle, that the universe is isotropic and
>>     homogeneous. He then tells the story behind the discovery of the cosmic
>>     microwave background by Arno Penzias and Robert Wilson in 1965.[3] After
>>     giving the reader a basis of understanding of astrophysics and particle
>>     physics, in chapter 5, Weinberg lays out the makeup of the Universe after
>>     its origin in a series of frozen frames. Weinberg shows how the Big Bang
>>     can account for the relative abundance of Hydrogen and Helium in the
>>     universe.
>
> So, in other words, you're visualizing short, expanding strings and
> "assuming" they go on forever. You're not actually "seeing" eternity, you're
> limiting it to the breadth, width and length of finite "strings." Humans are
> limited in time and space so we can't "see" (visualize) eternity or
> infinity, we have to believe in it by faith.

You don't know about string theory?

We don't need to visualize eternity/inifinity to determine its existence.

Granted, a human cannot imagine, say, an aleph-null of numbers. But it can
be defined by the rules it follows.

> But in response to Weinberg, if the universe (or "Universe" as Weinberg
> capitalizes it?) is constantly expanding, what is it expanding into?

Nothing. It simply means that the diameter, as measured, is expanding.

--
You fill a much-needed gap.