Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v5qf3p$ahah$2@dont-email.me>

From: "Ian J. Ball" <ijball@mac.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: TV news for June 23-29, 2024
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2024 19:15:21 -0700

On 6/29/24 6:05 PM, shawn wrote:

> On Sat, 29 Jun 2024 17:55:07 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
> wrote:
>
>> shawn <nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com> wrote:

>>> Sad, but bad accidents do happen. The good thing is he's already had a
>>> good career as an action hero so now he can take on more sedate roles.
>>>

>> It’s not like Marvel is making action hero movies anymore anyway. Certainly
>> not with white men.
>
> True, they do seem to have a focus on women now for their action hero
> movies. I wonder how that is working out for them.
>
> It's actually not a bad idea if they had good stories/writing and had
> some compelling actors. So far they've managed to fail on all
> accounts. I thought they had a great concept with MS MARVEL if they
> had stuck with the new hero trying to come grips with her powers and
> how it changes her life. Then the writers feared they wouldn't get a
> second season to tell their story so they rushed the character
> development (she went from barely being able to use her powers to
> doing all sorts of stunts in just the course of a day or two) and
> pushed the story to Pakistan so they could bring up the
> Indian/Pakistan history. Oh, and they introduced the coolest character
> in the leader of the Red Band only to kill him off shortly after we
> met him.
>
> All of which would have been fine if it had played out over a second
> season but it was a massive shift in tone and the style of the story
> telling (lot's of anime/cartoon scenes in the first three episodes
> that kept it light hearted. That disappeared after those episodes.)

The only new "female action hero" from MCU that I trust/am psyched about
is Hailee Steinfeld, and that's just because we know she's good (past
performances and all that).

Oh, and I guess Florence Pugh, though she's not exactly a "hero".

Ms. Marvel might be OK. Maybe.

But I don't like any of the rest, not even Kathryn Newton who is great
in other stuff but seems massively miscast and out of her depth here.
(Really makes you wonder why the replaced Emma Fuhrmann because it
wasn't even a "trade up" in this case...)