Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v5r9b7$f8df$1@dont-email.me>

From: Mikko <mikko.levanto@iki.fi>
Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Subject: Re: In relativity "s" is for "spin"
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2024 12:43:03 +0300

On 2024-06-29 18:10:03 +0000, LaurenceClarkCrossen said:

> How is light affected twice as much by gravity as everything else,
> according to relativity? According to Galileo and Eotvos, everything is
> affected the same by gravity regardless of mass or material. How does
> relativity "spin" this discrepancy (to use a colloquialism)?

The speed of an object determines how long the object is close enough
to a more massive object that it is significantly deflected. Light is
faster that anything else so it is deflected less than anything else
(if passing the massive object at the same distance).

A small object like a single atom can be accelerated to a speed that
is only slightly less than the speed of light. Unfortunately a single
atom is so easily lost that it has not yet been pssible to observe how
much it is deflected by a massibe body. General Relativity predicts
that it is deflected nearly as much as light.

--
Mikko