Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v5ujng$14luj$3@dont-email.me>

From: moviePig <nobody@nowhere.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: Snopes Finally Debunks Left-Wing Claim of "Very Fine People" in
 Charlottesville
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2024 11:58:39 -0400

On 7/1/2024 5:12 AM, trotsky wrote:
> On 6/30/24 4:12 PM, moviePig wrote:

>>> He said there are fine people on both sides.  Why don't you get what
>>> the discussion is about?
>>
>> Yes, but the two sides weren't "Nazis" and "non-Nazis".  (Yes, I know
>> that all the Nazis were on only one of the sides.)
>

> The topic was neo-Nazis.  This is exhausting.
>

> Reporter: "Mr. President, are you putting what you’re calling the
> alt-left and white supremacists on the same moral plane?"
>
> Trump: "I’m not putting anybody on a moral plane. What I’m saying is
> this: You had a group on one side and you had a group on the other, and
> they came at each other with clubs -- and it was vicious and it was
> horrible. And it was a horrible thing to watch.
>
> "But there is another side. There was a group on this side. You can call
> them the left -- you just called them the left -- that came violently
> attacking the other group. So you can say what you want, but that’s the
> way it is.
>
> Reporter: (Inaudible) "… both sides, sir. You said there was hatred,
> there was violence on both sides. Are the --"
>
> Trump: "Yes, I think there’s blame on both sides. If you look at both
> sides -- I think there’s blame on both sides. And I have no doubt about
> it, and you don’t have any doubt about it either. And if you reported it
> accurately, you would say."
>
> Reporter: "The neo-Nazis started this. They showed up in Charlottesville
> to protest --"
>
> Trump: "Excuse me, excuse me. They didn’t put themselves -- and you had
> some very bad people in that group, but you also had people that were
> very fine people, on both sides. You had people in that group. Excuse
> me, excuse me. I saw the same pictures as you did. You had people in
> that group that were there to protest the taking down of, to them, a
> very, very important statue and the renaming of a park from Robert E.
> Lee to another name."

Yes, a strict reading of that transcript has Trump speaking well of
"some neo-Nazis".  But I don't see that the discourse is consistent
enough to support such rigor.  (Few exchanges are, especially Trump's.)
E.g., note that at first the "sides" are alt-Left vs. white
supremacists, and later become statue-protesters vs. statue-defenders.
(And again, even if Trump had said "Nazis are fine people", I'd bet he
simply misspoke -- because he's not suicidal.)