Article <v60tar$1kr8m$1@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v60tar$1kr8m$1@dont-email.me>

From: Zen Cycle <funkmaster@hotmail.com>
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: Disc brake maintenance tips
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2024 08:54:51 -0400

> Tom Kunich <cyclintom@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>> Another little old lady comment from Krygowski. To shift downtube
>> shifters you have to pause pedalling.

Oh fer fucks sake....yeah, that's great advice....'pause pedaling while
shifting'....wow, what a fucking moron.

>> This causes the man behind you with
>> brifters to run into the back of you as you suddenly slow down.

Not if they're paying attention, and it wouldn't have been any different
if the guy behind had downtube shifters.

>> They did
>> have 10 speed downtube shifters. Since they were lighter than brifters
>> why did not some pro's with the emphasis on lighter and lighter weight use them?

I don't recall any manufacturer marketing 10sp index down tube shifters.
I'll concede I may just never have noticed, but the question about they
the pro's would never use them is a really stupid strawman argument.

First off, dipshit, You don't have to change cadence/power any more/less
with down tube shifters than with integrated shifters.

Second, It's the dynamic of being forced to sit that affects cadence and
power. With downtube shifters you pretty much are forced to sit to
shift. The reason pros don't use downtube shifters is that the ability
to respond quickly and shift while out of the saddle trumps the weight
savings. FWIW - some people who compete in hill climb events (e.g.
https://bumpshillclimb.com/) do often still use downtube shifters for
the weight savings. Many riders also use a single chain ring and a
single brake (UCI rules don't apply to those races).

>> Day after day you have not added one thing to the group except stupid
>> statement after stupid statement.

oh, you mean like " To shift downtube shifters you have to pause
pedalling." ? Oh, wait, that was you.

>> Jobst's bike was 66 cm and made from 1" rather low grade steel compared
>> to what is available today.

You have no fucking clue what Jobst rode. A rider of his caliber was
most likely riding at least something along the lines of Columbus SL,
which in the hands of a competent builder is a stiff as any steel frame
made today. There have been numerous discussions in this forum about
blind tests of steel bikes built with different grades of tubing where
the winner was more often than not the lower grade tubing.

>> It was unbelievably flexy and with old
>> downtube shifters and I think it a miracle that he could keep it upright
>> when going around turns it would start flexing the frame and wheels (36
>> spoke) and he would have to counter steer it to keep it going in the
>> direction he wanted it to go.

Unless you rode it - which we know you never did - you have no fucking
clue how flexy it was or what it took to control it. FFS kunich, Day
after day you have not added one thing to the group except stupid
statement after stupid statement.

Tell us again how your shifting improved after you got special
campagnolo non-stretch shifter cables?