Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v62tdl$238cf$1@dont-email.me>

From: David Brown <david.brown@hesbynett.no>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Subject: Re: Baby X is bor nagain
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2024 09:08:35 +0200
 <gEieO.108089$ED9b.25598@fx11.iad> <20240625113616.000075e0@yahoo.com>
 <mUzeO.141609$Cqra.55051@fx10.iad> <v5elql$1jmii$1@dont-email.me>
 <m3BeO.24907$Gurd.16179@fx34.iad> <v5empd$1jndv$2@dont-email.me>
 <v5eph4$1k6a9$1@dont-email.me> <87ed8jnbmf.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
 <v5jhls$2m7np$1@dont-email.me> <v5jm32$2nqvp$1@dont-email.me>
 <v5k3v2$2qllm$1@dont-email.me> <v5kfst$2svt3$1@dont-email.me>
 <v5kmlm$2u918$1@dont-email.me> <20240627201830.854@kylheku.com>
 <v5m2nl$39qob$3@dont-email.me> <87msn1l3e5.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
 <v5udks$13tjn$1@dont-email.me> <87bk3flty5.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
 <v61789$1mme1$1@dont-email.me> <87bk3f8hy5.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
 <v625m8$1rn2r$1@dont-email.me>

On 03/07/2024 02:23, bart wrote:
> On 03/07/2024 00:58, Ben Bacarisse wrote:
>> bart <bc@freeuk.com> writes:

>>> No I mean binary distributions (unless the install process silently
>>> compiled from source; I've no idea).
>>
>> Which ones?
>>

> I really, really don't remember. I've tinkered with Linux every so often
> for 20, maybe 25 years. You used to be able to order a job-lot of CDs
> with different versions. Few did much.
>
> Then there were various ones I tried under Virtual Box. All had gcc.
>
> I must have tried half a dozen, maybe more, on RPis. Those I know all
> had gcc too.  So did a laptop or two with Linux. As does WSL now.
>
> I'm not sure what you're trying to do here.
>
> I will admit that it might not be 100% certain that a Linux OS on a
> system on which someone is planning to run a C compiler will have gcc
> installed, although that is not my experience.
>
> Will that do?

In my experience, Linux distributions (which is a much more correct term
than your "versions") rarely install gcc by default, unless they are
source-based distributions.  But virtually all will have gcc available
for easy installation from their repositories.  And they will pull it in
automatically if the user installs something that requires it to run, or
to install (such as some kinds of drivers that need to be matched to the
kernel being used).

So perhaps instead of insisting, incorrectly, that gcc is almost always
installed on Linux, you could just say that gcc is almost always easily
available, and move on.  (And perhaps it is so easily installed that you
did so without noticing it on your systems.)