Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v67vch$6vl1$1@solani.org>

From: Jan Panteltje <alien@comet.invalid>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: hobby electronics
Date: Fri, 05 Jul 2024 05:12:48 GMT

On a sunny day (Thu, 4 Jul 2024 22:39:49 +0100) it happened TTman
<kraken.sankey@gmail.com> wrote in <v674rb$2u2e7$1@dont-email.me>:

>On 02/07/2024 18:03, DJ Delorie wrote:
>> john larkin <jlarkin_highland_tech> writes:
>>> It's my opinion that there are few hobbyists that really work with
>>> parts and make circuits, and most EE grads are EE/CE dual majors that
>>> code more than they solder, and don't have instincts for electricity.
>>
>> IMHO the term "hobby electronics" used to mean "soldering up radios" but
>> now means "jumper wiring modules".  Arduino, RPi, and ESP32 have made it
>> trivial for anyone to wire up sensors and actuators.
>>
>> Where used to be a niche talent (designing transistors or ICs) has moved
>> up the tree (designing modules) with the corresponding dearth of
>> interested applicants.
>>
>> One can only hope that easy access to PCB manufacturing and assembly
>> services will make the niche talents more popular.
>
>I used to solder/build up valve amplifiers that went into record players
>back in the 60's as a school kid...300V bites :)

Yes, I once got stuck with my hand in a tube radio and it burned a scar in my left hand
when I accidently touched a 300V transformer connection.. could not let go,
asked the guy next to me 'pull the power plug'.
Later I better learned to control myself when hanging on the power...
25 kV color TV sparks were interesting too.
peeseebees? I used to etch my own, still have some etching stuff,
some drawn with a pen, later with printer and photo sensitive PCB ..

At work I had them made by a local company here...