Article <v69b2t$3chpq$1@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v69b2t$3chpq$1@dont-email.me>

From: olcott <polcott333@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: sci.logic
Subject: Re: Minimal Logics in the 2020's: A Meteoric Rise
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2024 12:38:37 -0500

On 7/5/2024 11:23 AM, Richard Damon wrote:

>>> But, even if we can't find that sequence of truth perserving
>>> operations, but one exists (which might be infinite) makes the
>>> statement true, but not known.
>>>
>>> This is one of your confusions, You confuse a statment being True,
>>> with the statement being KNOWN to be True.
>>>
>>> There are a number of great problems and conjectures that seem to be
>>> true, but we can not prove them. They MUST be either True or False,
>>> as by their nature, there is no middle ground (something either
>>> exsits or it doesn't, or the count of something is either finite or
>>> infinite).
>>>
>>> The ACTUAL TRUTH  (or falsehood) of such a statement is thus firmly
>>> established by the system in which the conjeture is embedded, even if
>>> our knowledge of the value of the truth of the statement is not
>>> known, or possible even knowable.
>>>
>>> The concept of "incompleteness" for a logical system is a recognition
>>> that the system has grown powerful enough that there exist some
>>> truths in the system that no finite proof of those statements exist,
>>> and only infinite chains of inference in the system can establish it.
>>>
>>> Mathematics is one source for these sorts of truths, as the
>>> possiblity of problems having NO number that satisfy them, or an
>>> infinite number that satisfy them show paths that can use in infinite
>>> number of steps to prove them, and might only be provable if some
>>> "inductive" shortcut can be found.
>>>

>> Yet my system screens out pathological expressions that
>> are incorrectly determined to be incompleteness of the
>> formal system. When we do that then True(L,x) can be defined
>> for every expression not requiring an infinite sequence
>> of steps. True(L,x) or True(L,~x) or not a truth bearer in L.
>
> No, it dies in self-inconsistency.
>
> Note "Every expression BUT ..."  isn't "Every expresion ."

Every expression such that neither X nor ~X is provable in L
is simply not a truth bearer in L. This does correctly reject
self-contradictory expressions that wold otherwise be interpreted
as the incompleteness of L.

This works correctly for every element of the accurate verbal
model of the actual world. Since we can see that things like
the Goldbach conjecture can be proven *OR REFUTED* in an infinite
sequence then an algorithm can see this too. For everything
else it is an infallibly correct system of reasoning.