Article <v69ltj$3dqr1$6@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v69ltj$3dqr1$6@dont-email.me>

From: Alan <nuh-uh@nope.com>
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: Is everyone as blissfully ignorant as the Apple zealots are?
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2024 13:43:31 -0700

On 2024-07-05 13:34, badgolferman wrote:
> Alan <nuh-uh@nope.com> wrote:

>>> I have no problem with the App Store. But I do think the option to use
>>> other stores should exist, with all warnings and check marks required for
>>> you to advance. Apple shouldn’t be responsible for software they have not
>>> vetted and if the customer still wants it then they are culpable if
>>> something goes wrong.
>>
>> So now you say that Apple shouldn't be responsible.
>>
>> Make up your mind, huh?
>>

>>> But this is a different situation. Apple used someone else’s software and
>>> didn’t correctly vet that. It perpetuated itself deeper and has caused
>>> security problems now. That’s on Apple.
>>>

>> CocoaPods is a dependency manager; a software tool you use to create
>> software. It manages the dependencies you're using. It isn't software
>> that itself winds up IN your software.
>>
>> So how could Apple reasonably check if some third-party software was
>> built using it?
>>

> Maybe I misunderstood, but I thought this problem also affected the Apple
> software engineers.

Where did you read that?

> In any case, I’m sure it’s virtually impossible to keep track of everything
> but a company that touts its safety and security presence must do more.
> Look at LastPass, they’ve become a joke.

Again:

What CocoaPods is is a tool used during software development for
managing the libraries that a software developer uses, and after the
software is deployed, the developer continues to use it to track updates
to those libraries...

....but all of that takes place in a manner that is completely opaque to
Apple.

There is no practical way for Apple to detect the fact that the
developers of CocoaPods screwed up and created a system that let bad
actors claim ownership of the "Pods" (external libraries) that CocoaPods
tracks and insert malicious code in them.