Article <v69pca$3eq6r$1@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v69pca$3eq6r$1@dont-email.me>

From: olcott <polcott333@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: sci.logic
Subject: Re: Minimal Logics in the 2020's: A Meteoric Rise
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2024 16:42:34 -0500
 <v67i45$6keq$1@solani.org> <v67j9a$2vtu0$2@dont-email.me>
 <v67jvc$6l2j$1@solani.org> <v67mbp$349l4$1@dont-email.me>
 <4394939716c6c6d2ed1fa9b5a269ed261768914e@i2pn2.org>
 <v67ono$34d9q$1@dont-email.me>
 <ba31e5eebae5a2b987f1ff1ec5886f00f59dc3b5@i2pn2.org>
 <v69b2t$3chpq$1@dont-email.me>
 <5e4fb6d29fbd03c807c9a8d4140f807a44c29cb9@i2pn2.org>
 <v69k46$3duna$1@dont-email.me>
 <49291bd9f18eaf11097b6a26f062f54b7f4d6fa9@i2pn2.org>

On 7/5/2024 4:18 PM, Richard Damon wrote:

>>> FALSE STATEMENT.
>>>

>> Can't be false it is stipulated.
>
> Can't stipulate that something is true.

That every expression of language that is {true on the basis of
its verbal meaning} must have a connection by truth preserving
operations to its {verbal meaning} is a tautology.

Sometimes in cases (having little actual consequence) this
may require an infinite sequence of truth preserving operations.

> Also, stipulating a definition contrary to the system puts you out of
> the system.
>

>>> Some statements are true due to an infinite number of steps to ther
>>> truth-makers of the system.
>>>

>> Already covered that.
>
> Nope. That is just stipulating that you system is contradictory.
>

>>> You will lead your logic system into contradictions by your
>>> definition (or you just need to treat it as a worthless phrase that
>>> doesn't actually tell you anything, particually what you call
>>> non-truth-bearers, which might actuall be statement that are true or
>>> false).
>>>

>> Not at all. Such a system does detect and reject self-contradictory
>> expressions thus does not use this as any basis for incompleteness.
>
> Nope, it just puts your logic outside of most logic systems, and unable
> to hamdle most of the problems people really care about.

Right people really care about the Goldbach conjecture
infinite more than avoiding Fascism or the death of
the planet.

>>> So, you ADMIT that you definition doesn't work for some statements,
>>> and thus is not correct.
>>>

>> It detects expressions that require infinite steps as out
>> of scope and correctly determines all of the rest.
>
> Nope, it defines your system as self-contradictory,

That is not even what those words mean.

> as things like tht
> GoldBach conjecture are defined as BOTH non-truth-bearers, and as
> truth-bearers.
>
> That seems to be the lie for your logic, that you just allow yourself to
> be wrong at times, which makes your logic worthless.
>

>>> Note, the algorithm can not tell wether the statement like to
>>> Goldback conjecture is true or not, or even if it takes an infinite
>>> number of steps to come to that answer. Thus, you statement is just a
>>> FALSEHOOD.
>>>
>> Not at all. Because it is dead obvious to humans that Goldbach
>> can be proved or refuted in an infinite number of steps an
>> algorithm can see this too.
>
> But it might not need an infinite number of steps to refute it.

That my system handles all knowledge that can be expressed
using language is enough.

> And that second definition contradicts your first, as the first defines
> Goldmach (if true) to be a non-truth-bearer, while the second tries to
> contradict that to say it is.

That is not even what those words mean.

> You can't do that in two different statements.
>

>>> You just don't understand logic well enough to understand that can't
>>> have definitions that just don't work as the basis of a system.
>>>
>>> By your definition, the Goldbach conjecture must currently be
>>> consider a non-truth-bearer, but we KNOW that it must be either true
>>> or false, we
>>
>> It would be construed as out-of-scope.
>> Whether or not there was evidence of:
>> (a) Election fraud that could have possibly changed
>> the outcome of the 2020 presidential election or
>> (b) Very harmful climate change caused by humans
>> would be in scope.
>
> Since both of those statements are based on EMPERICAL evidence, they are
> outside the scope of analytical logic.

An accurate model of the actual world already has
them encoded in language.

>>> just don't know which, so you definition of a truth-bearer is just a
>>> lie.
>>>
>>> What you are defining are KNOWLEDGE bearers, statements that there
>>> truth can be known.
>>
>> The key problem that it solves is that it makes True(L,x)
>> computable for all of the most important things that really
>> matter.
>
> Nope, becuase you made you system inconsistent by defining infinitly
> established truths to be both non-truth-bearers and truth-bearers.

out-of-scope is not at all the same thing as inconsistent.

>> You are essentially saying that
>> A cure for cancer is totally useless because it only cures
>> 99.99% of cancers.
>
> Nope, but it can't be said to be a cure for ALL cancers.

It can handle ALL knowledge that can be expressed using language.

> That is where you run into the problem, trying to say that things that
> must be correct for ALL inputs, are allowed to only be correct for many
> inputs.

The entire set of knowledge that can be expressed using language.