Article <v6bats$3pal0$4@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v6bats$3pal0$4@dont-email.me>

From: zen cycle <funkmasterxx@hotmail.com>
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: Disc brake maintenance tips
Date: Sat, 6 Jul 2024 07:48:12 -0400

On 7/6/2024 7:21 AM, Roger Merriman wrote:
> Catrike Ryder <Soloman@old.bikers.org> wrote:

>>> Sounds wonderful, much like my morning rides (without pesky
>>> gear changers on my fixie).
>>
>> Riding a fixie is not conducive to my pedaling technique, but it seems
>> to me that riding a multispeed freewheel/freehub bike without shifting
>> is almost the same thing, only better because you don't have to plan
>> your cornering so that you're not doing with your inside pedal down?
>>
> Not quite, with a single chainring/cog does make the bike lighter, and
> simpler maintenance.

A fixed gear is also significantly more efficient - fewer drivetrain
losses that are exacerbated but poor biomechanics. A
derailleur-tensioned chain on a freehub allows poor pedaling technique.
The fixed-gear "hides" this as the 'return' from the forward motion of
the bike keeps your legs moving in circles (rather than "pedaling
squares"). As the speed and cadence increase, it trains you to be more
efficient since bad pedaling technique limits your ability to spin. My
favorite quip WRT to fixed gears is 'in any given gear, a fixed
drivetrain is more efficient'.

> And folks do like the fixie ie no freewheel feeling, I missed the ability
> to freewheel too much and being an old MTBer like to move on the bike so I
> used a freewheel.
>
> Used to be very fashionable about 10 years ago back to seeing them now and
> then.

It's still pretty rare around here, but there is a small hardcore group
that races here: https://nevelodrome.com/