Article <v6be64$3qc85$1@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v6be64$3qc85$1@dont-email.me>

From: AMuzi <am@yellowjersey.org>
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: Disc brake maintenance tips
Date: Sat, 6 Jul 2024 07:43:48 -0500
 <p9gb8jlqtdjlkbke7jre0h59oskmunf66u@4ax.com> <v64th6$2ed0u$4@dont-email.me>
 <9irc8jlpse1s398uq5qd6jaudjar3jhfs8@4ax.com>
 <ss2f8j5j1ir52gjmeqbdvtj9c96r7g5ipv@4ax.com>
 <7d9f8jhl4vpb0n7p8bodavodbrob28rd8p@4ax.com>
 <q7mf8jd39j94gkjvpmdg5ubsb5mhph5ric@4ax.com>
 <0mnf8j1od86gq027k6bbas1ioeam2a6l6b@4ax.com> <v691hf$3aqcm$3@dont-email.me>
 <c3jg8jh2ilmnt81bbucki78fc44sjiciiq@4ax.com>
 <uf6h8jp8i6ogq9odo7o52eth5s3m1fe78v@4ax.com> <v6a6tk$3ggeu$6@dont-email.me>
 <v6a9mp$3l2np$1@dont-email.me> <v6aau3$3l7ug$1@dont-email.me>

On 7/5/2024 9:42 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
> On 7/5/2024 10:21 PM, AMuzi wrote:

>>> That's correct, as far as it goes. The pertinent fact is
>>> people with guns in their home are much more likely to
>>> die or be wounded by guns. It's especially true of women
>>> whose husbands have guns.
>>>
>>> I can give citations yet again, if needed. Not that it
>>> would do any good, of course.
>>>

>> While we probably agree that suicides of impulse are
>> tragic, I maintain that most are deliberate and in many
>> instances (I've known too many) the best result for all
>> concerned.
>>
>> I will agree that a lack of weaponry may thwart some
>> impulsive suicides. That won't stop the deliberate.
>
> Nothing is perfect. Don't let the perfect be the enemy of
> the good.

We've previously discussed the idea of a near-total ban on
personal firearms with a complex, expensive and restrictive
permitting process, limited to one per person, single shot
rimfire only.

Mexico has exactly that regime in place and has for many
long years.   How's that working out in the real world?

https://www.jurist.org/news/2024/06/mexico-mayor-elect-assassinated-amidst-surge-in-political-violence/

USA is 2.5x the population of Mexico with about 37,200 shot
dead to Mexico's 15,400 for a slightly _higher_ incident
rate than USA.

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2019/08/gun-deaths-firearms-americas-homicide/

Perhaps legislating about hardware is not the best solution.

--
Andrew Muzi
am@yellowjersey.org