Article <v6c3vh$3ttem$1@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v6c3vh$3ttem$1@dont-email.me>

From: "Fred. Zwarts" <F.Zwarts@HetNet.nl>
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic
Subject: Re: Liar detector: Fred, Richard, Joes and Alan --- Ben's agreement
Date: Sat, 6 Jul 2024 20:55:44 +0200
 <v646v5$2agfo$1@dont-email.me> <v647p3$29pag$6@dont-email.me>
 <v6480h$2ape0$1@dont-email.me> <v648nk$29pag$8@dont-email.me>
 <v64as3$2bc8m$1@dont-email.me> <v64drn$29pag$10@dont-email.me>
 <v64e92$2bvgc$1@dont-email.me> <v65juc$2lui5$2@dont-email.me>
 <v665c9$2oun1$4@dont-email.me> <v66t0p$2n56v$1@dont-email.me>
 <v66t7p$2srk8$1@dont-email.me> <v66tql$2n56v$3@dont-email.me>
 <v66u56$2suut$1@dont-email.me> <v66v8i$2n56v$4@dont-email.me>
 <v67028$2t9el$1@dont-email.me> <v68b3f$2n56v$5@dont-email.me>
 <v68ocd$39dkv$5@dont-email.me> <v68pfo$2n56v$7@dont-email.me>
 <v68rnv$39tml$2@dont-email.me> <v68tvd$3ac9t$1@dont-email.me>
 <v68uj0$3ahel$1@dont-email.me> <v694k4$3bevk$1@dont-email.me>
 <v69502$3bh3f$1@dont-email.me> <v6b1k4$3odj5$1@dont-email.me>
 <v6bf7r$3qiio$2@dont-email.me> <v6bm5v$3rj8n$1@dont-email.me>
 <v6bmoe$3ri0l$2@dont-email.me> <v6bnt2$3rj8n$3@dont-email.me>
 <v6brfj$3skuk$2@dont-email.me>

Op 06.jul.2024 om 18:30 schreef olcott:
> On 7/6/2024 10:29 AM, Fred. Zwarts wrote:

>>> I commented at the wrong place.
>>>
>>> The semantics of the x86 language are the only criterion
>>> measure of correct emulation. Only stupid liars would disagree.
>>
>> So, why do you disagree that the x86 code specifies an HHH that aborts
>> and halts?
>
> Dishonest dodge of changing the subject. This is called
> the strawman deception and is a favorite tactic of liars.

Irrelevant text ignored. You talked about x86, therefore continuing to
talk about x86 is not a change of subject.
I know you have difficulties to recognize the truth, so I do not feel
offended, because: 'Don't assume somebody is wilfully wrong, if
incompetence could be an explanation, as well.'

> If you sufficiently understand the semantics of the x86
> language then you can see that the call to HHH(DDD) from
> DDD simulated according to the semantics of the x86 language
> cannot possibly return.

I understand enough of it to see that it cannot possibly return, because
HHH cannot possibly simulate itself correctly.
The x86 language specifies that HHH aborts and returns, but the
simulator is unable to simulate that, because the simulated HHH is
aborted one cycle too early, so that the simulating HHH misses the full
behaviour of the input.
You have shown that other simulator are able to simulate HHH correctly,
which shows that it is a problem of HHH itself that it cannot simulate
itself correctly.

> If you fail to sufficiently understand the semantics of the
> x86 language then seeing this is impossible for you.
>
> _DDD()
> [00002172] 55               push ebp      ; housekeeping
> [00002173] 8bec             mov ebp,esp   ; housekeeping
> [00002175] 6872210000       push 00002172 ; push DDD
> [0000217a] e853f4ffff       call 000015d2 ; call HHH(DDD)
> [0000217f] 83c404           add esp,+04
> [00002182] 5d               pop ebp
> [00002183] c3               ret
> Size in bytes:(0018) [00002183]

Yes, this supports my analysis. Thanks for repeating it. HHH is
incorrect, because it is unable to reach its own 'ret' in the
simulation, even although the x86 language specifies that it should
reach this 'ret' instruction.

This is further supported by the trace, you published, where we also see
that the simulating HHH aborts prematurely, one cycle before the
simulated HHH would abort and return. Showing that this simulation is
incorrect, as well.
If you would correctly interpret the x86 language, you should see that
the simulation fails to reach the 'ret' instruction.
I think you can't help to be blind for it, because: 'Don't assume
somebody is wilfully wrong, if incompetence could be an explanation, as
well.'

Therefore, Sipser does not apply, because that is about a correct
simulation.