Article <v6el1u$e6tb$1@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v6el1u$e6tb$1@dont-email.me>

From: olcott <polcott333@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: sci.logic
Subject: Re: Minimal Logics in the 2020's: A Meteoric Rise
Date: Sun, 7 Jul 2024 12:59:26 -0500
 <v6ch6a$13k$2@dont-email.me>
 <4ce79acf7c53160136f77603265cc1e5a5d3e34e@i2pn2.org>
 <v6cpnc$1b3m$2@dont-email.me>
 <9e59212316a9b258e95a1de7f5cca46fee37861e@i2pn2.org>
 <v6csla$1otr$2@dont-email.me>
 <3f12eb90be522441c8b95d17d25767fcaf72ed2d@i2pn2.org>
 <v6cvqs$5vir$2@dont-email.me>
 <efced1648cf7ddc1c257d7c4369add3b391dd005@i2pn2.org>
 <v6d2r0$6cgn$2@dont-email.me>
 <931fe5b1e73d204bf20a268dd025489e3040371d@i2pn2.org>
 <v6e5ho$bbcb$2@dont-email.me>
 <0f3e40caf51b61ebb05c4ec2ae44042bff632017@i2pn2.org>

On 7/7/2024 12:28 PM, Richard Damon wrote:
> On 7/7/24 9:34 AM, olcott wrote:

>>> So, "incorrect" is an ACTUAL logic state, not just "sort of" and ~~P
>>> doesn't necessarily have the same value as P.
>>>

>> It is something like tri-valued logic.
>
> It needs to either BE tri-valued, or be bi-valued, or be whatever number
> of values it is.

True, False and IDK would be trivalued logic.
True, False and not-a-logic-sentence is not actually trivalued logic.

>> Every other formal system would try to force "a fish" into
>> true or false and if that didn't work determine that the
>> formal system is incomplete.
>
> Nope, most formal system just don't define "a fish" as a statement in
> their langauge.

I use that example because it is easy to see that it is
neither true nor false. It literally applies to any formal
system as expressive as English.

>>> IF you do mean this, then you first need to fully define how
>>> "incorrect" works in ALL the logical operators.
>>>

>> (~True(L,x) ∧ ~True(L,~x)) ≡ ~Proposition(L,x)
>> Every variable is screened this way before any other
>> operations can be performed upon it.
>> x = "a fish" rejects every expression referencing x.
>
> Logic doesn't work that way.

That is its error.

> Sorry, you are just totally ignorant of how formal logic works.

Not at all formal logic is wrong because it does not do this.

>>> It also means you need to figure out what you logic system supports,
>>> and can't just rely on the large base of work on normal binary logic.
>>>

>> That every expression of language that is {true on the basis of
>> its meaning expressed using language} must have a connection by
>> truth preserving operations to its {meaning expressed using language}
>> is a tautology. The accurate model of the actual world is expressed
>> using formal language and formalized natural language.
>
> Nope, doesm't work that way. The problem is that most formal systems
> don't express them selves with "Natural Language".

That formal systems are not typically very expressive
is by no means any evidence at all that they cannot be as
expressive as English.

> And an "accurate model of the actual world" isn't available, so you are
> hypothocating on a non-existant thing.

That is always the way that new things come into existence.

>>> Thare is a good aount of work on non-binary systems, and perhaps you
>>> can find one that is close enough to try to use, but YOU need to do
>>> that work.
>>>

>> In other words it is too difficult for you to understand
>> that "a fish" is not a proposition?
>
> Nope, YOU are the one that says it is one, and needs to be handled.
>
> What formal logic system do you think you are working in?

That every expression of language that is {true on the basis of
its meaning expressed using language} must have a connection by
truth preserving operations to its {meaning expressed using language}
is a tautology. The accurate model of the actual world is expressed
using formal language and formalized natural language.

>>> And realize that you system isn't applicable to any theorem based on
>>> a binary logic system, since your system is not one.
>>>

>> All of the current systems of logic inherit their notion of
>> True(L,x) on the above basis.
>> (~True(PA,g) ∧ ~True(PA,~g)) ≡ ~Proposition(PA,g)
>> Mathematical incompleteness goes away.
>>

> Nope, you just made your system inconsistant if it was powerful enough
> to express as a proposition in it that x in PA is ~True(PA, x).

Not at all. Must system consistently rejects expressions
that are neither true nor false.

> Tarski shows a set of commonly held conditions that are sufficent to
> allow that expression to be a proposition in PA.

Tarski stupidly allowed nonsense into his system.