Article <v6erht$f4d3$2@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v6erht$f4d3$2@dont-email.me>

From: AMuzi <am@yellowjersey.org>
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: Disc brake maintenance tips
Date: Sun, 7 Jul 2024 14:50:22 -0500
 <0mnf8j1od86gq027k6bbas1ioeam2a6l6b@4ax.com> <v691hf$3aqcm$3@dont-email.me>
 <c3jg8jh2ilmnt81bbucki78fc44sjiciiq@4ax.com>
 <uf6h8jp8i6ogq9odo7o52eth5s3m1fe78v@4ax.com> <v6a6tk$3ggeu$6@dont-email.me>
 <v6a9mp$3l2np$1@dont-email.me> <v6aau3$3l7ug$1@dont-email.me>
 <v6be64$3qc85$1@dont-email.me> <v6bnfi$3rvtv$1@dont-email.me>
 <h6ri8jl980fkg01h56603l5htkj168k7u2@4ax.com>
 <g8nj8jl3i63ku5hib2ccach3p3q9j2mv2j@4ax.com> <v6d3rn$6gvj$1@dont-email.me>
 <v6ebb0$cgrt$2@dont-email.me> <v6enlj$emn4$1@dont-email.me>

On 7/7/2024 1:44 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
> On 7/7/2024 11:13 AM, AMuzi wrote:
>> On 7/6/2024 10:59 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
>>> As I've said before, our constitution was groundbreaking.
>>> But it was never perfect, and in many ways it was and is
>>> faulty.
>>>
>>> Other nations were able to examine our constitution, note
>>> its faults and correct them when writing theirs. One
>>> common correction is not letting every whacko buy and use
>>> rapid fire weaponry designed for military use.
>>>

>> What's rapid?  A revolver?
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzHG-ibZaKM
>
> We've discussed this at length. Before we could have any
> hope of numbers we can agree upon, we'd first have to have a
> rational discussion on the legitimate uses of firearms by
> members of the public.
>
> I doubt that's going to happen here - in part because on one
> hand, you (justifiably) excoriate punks doing things like
> blasting away at convenience stores with AR rifles; but on
> the other hand, you say that almost anyone should be able to
> buy an AR rifle at will.
>
> I don't think there's a way to get past that cognitive
> dissonance. But if you want to try, tell me what firearm
> uses by ordinary citizens you consider legitimate.
>
>> I can't think of anything on earth which hasn't been
>> applied to military purposes (David, sling, 5 stones...)
>
> My phrase was clearly not condemning public use of
> _everything_ ever designed for military use. Read again and
> see.

Yes that's exactly right.

Automobile crashes kill some 44,000-ish people a year here
(plus carbon monoxide deaths, autos crushed aspiring
mechanics in driveways and so on).

In theory, we regulate pilot behavior*.  Again in theory, we
track vehicle ownership*. In theory, we even regulate who
may* pilot one on public roads.

Yet there's no serious discussion (outside the loony left)
of banning autos altogether.

*Each a hotly contested web of difficult policy and
practice, which are now very different.
--
Andrew Muzi
am@yellowjersey.org