Article <v6esfa$f34s$4@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v6esfa$f34s$4@dont-email.me>

From: HenHanna <HenHanna@devnull.tb>
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english,sci.lang
Subject: Re: Does anybody else recognize SPQR as a flawed acronym?
Date: Sun, 7 Jul 2024 13:06:01 -0700

On 1/31/2024 6:52 AM, Peter Ross wrote:
> On Saturday, January 27, 2024 at 11:25:06 AM UTC-8, Bebercito wrote:
>> Le samedi 27 janvier 2024 à 06:46:51 UTC+1, bozo de niro a écrit :

>>> But "Senātus Populusque Rōmānus" (three words) does not equal SPQR (four words).
>>>
>>> Does anybody know Latin well enough to fix and Transliterate SPQR to four corresponding words?
>> Senātus Populus _Que_ Rōmānus"
>>
>> The reason the initialism has four letters is that the added -que to "Populus" ("Populusque")
>> is a Latin enclitic that means "and" and can arguably be considered a separate word.
>>>
>>> And does anybody else appreciate that SPQR appears to transliterate to the sound and word for "SPEAKER"?
>> SPQR is an initialism, not an acronym, and as such is pronounced as individual letters.
>
> Thanks for that.  Tried to Look it up but couldn't find it.

Both initialisms and acronyms are abbreviations formed using the first
letters of words or phrases. However, there's a key difference in how
they are pronounced:

Initialism: Each letter of the abbreviation is pronounced individually.

Example: FBI (Federal Bureau of Investigation) is pronounced "eff-bee-eye."

Other examples: USA (United States of America), ASAP (as soon as
possible), VIP (Very Important Person)

                          ASAP ???