Article <v6eui5$fqih$1@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v6eui5$fqih$1@dont-email.me>

From: no@no.no (James Waldby)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.python,sci.lang,sci.math
Subject: Re: given Dict=(act, eat, sat, ...) make a long chain (no repeats) with 2-letter overlaps
Date: Sun, 7 Jul 2024 20:41:41 -0000 (UTC)

In sci.math HenHanna <HenHanna@devnull.tb> wrote:
> On 7/6/2024 3:08 PM, James Waldby wrote:
>> Here's an 8-letter/4-overlap 10-chain example, based on an
>> 88-word dictionary of 8-letter words, all containing `over`:
>> 10 : ( discover overhang hangover overhung hungover overtake
>>        takeover overturn turnover overacts )   at 0.201194 seconds

> menomini + minidisc +
>        ( discover overhang hangover overhung hungover overtake
>          takeover overturn turnover overacts )

>> Example 6-letter/3-overlap 177-chain:
>> 177 :  abacus cuspid pidgin ginger gerbil billet lethal halter terser
>> serene enemas mascot cotton tonsil silent entice icebox boxcar carbon
>> hernia niacin cinder derail ailing ingest esters ersatz at 820.516 seconds
>>
>> Example 8-letter/4-overlap 79-chain:
>> 79: abjuring ringside sidekick kickback backbone bonehead headland
>>      landlady ladyship shipload loadstar starfish fishtail tailgate
>>      gatepost postdate dateline linefeed feedback backfire fireside
>>      backrest restrain raindrop dropouts outshone honester sternest
>>      nestling lingered at 54577.844678 seconds

> my PC is slow... but i got curious... (about 6-letter/3-overlap)
>
> ........,  massig,signal,nalfon, +
>
> ........,  reshun,hungry,gryfon, +
>
>   95  ( fondak, dakota, otakus, kuskus, kussos, sossed, sedate, ateles,
> lesses, sestet, tethys, hyssop, sophia, hiatus, tuscan, canell, ellops,
> opsins, insoul, oulder, dermol, molten, tenure, uretal, talpas, passes,
> seskin, kindie, dietal, tallis, lisbon, bonagh, aghast, astony, onymal,
> malice, icecap, caplin, lingas, gassit, situps, upsend, endore, oregon,
> gonads, adsorb, orbits, itself, elfish, ishtar, tarpot, potboy, boyaux,
> auxins, inship, hippus, pusley, leymus, muslin, linsey, seyens, ensure,
> uredia, diamat, matlos, losels, elsins, insunk, unkill, illing, ingoes,
> oesogi, ogived, vedism, ismdom, domett, ettles, lessee, seeing, ingans,
> anshar, hardim, dimply, plying, inglut, lutzes, zester, ternar, narica,
> icarus, rushes, hestia, tiamat, mating, ingots )

Do you have a link to the dictionary you're using?  Among the first 17
words (for example) of that sequence, only sedate and hiatus are in
linux's /usr/share/dict/american-english file.

> i think... A long (straight)  chain  like this (below) is harder to find
> (no dict for them)
>
>    Survey -
>    Monkey - Business - Casual - Sex - Work - Visa - Card - Shark - Tank
>    - Top - Secret - Agent - Orange - Julius - Caesar - Salad - Dressing

I think the basics of the problem are not more difficult, if a
dictionary of collocations were to be found.  I don't know of a free
one, or whether the following would be accessible if paid for.
https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/us/definition/collocations