Article <v6f10i$fuf9$1@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v6f10i$fuf9$1@dont-email.me>

From: HenHanna <HenHanna@devnull.tb>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.python,sci.lang,sci.math
Subject: Re: given Dict=(act, eat, sat, ...) make a long chain (no repeats)
 with 2-letter overlaps
Date: Sun, 7 Jul 2024 14:23:29 -0700

On 7/7/2024 1:41 PM, James Waldby wrote:
> In sci.math HenHanna <HenHanna@devnull.tb> wrote:
>> On 7/6/2024 3:08 PM, James Waldby wrote:
>>> Here's an 8-letter/4-overlap 10-chain example, based on an
>>> 88-word dictionary of 8-letter words, all containing `over`:
>>> 10 : ( discover overhang hangover overhung hungover overtake
>>>         takeover overturn turnover overacts )   at 0.201194 seconds
>
>> menomini + minidisc +
>>         ( discover overhang hangover overhung hungover overtake
>>           takeover overturn turnover overacts )
>
>>> Example 6-letter/3-overlap 177-chain:
>>> 177 :  abacus cuspid pidgin ginger gerbil billet lethal halter terser
>>> serene enemas mascot cotton tonsil silent entice icebox boxcar carbon
>>> hernia niacin cinder derail ailing ingest esters ersatz at 820.516 seconds
>>>
>>> Example 8-letter/4-overlap 79-chain:
>>> 79: abjuring ringside sidekick kickback backbone bonehead headland
>>>       landlady ladyship shipload loadstar starfish fishtail tailgate
>>>       gatepost postdate dateline linefeed feedback backfire fireside
>>>       backrest restrain raindrop dropouts outshone honester sternest
>>>       nestling lingered at 54577.844678 seconds
>
>> my PC is slow... but i got curious... (about 6-letter/3-overlap)
>>
>> ........,  massig,signal,nalfon, +
>>
>> ........,  reshun,hungry,gryfon, +
>>
>>    95  ( fondak, dakota, otakus, kuskus, kussos, sossed, sedate, ateles,
>> lesses, sestet, tethys, hyssop, sophia, hiatus, tuscan, canell, ellops,
>> opsins, insoul, oulder, dermol, molten, tenure, uretal, talpas, passes,
>> seskin, kindie, dietal, tallis, lisbon, bonagh, aghast, astony, onymal,
>> malice, icecap, caplin, lingas, gassit, situps, upsend, endore, oregon,
>> gonads, adsorb, orbits, itself, elfish, ishtar, tarpot, potboy, boyaux,
>> auxins, inship, hippus, pusley, leymus, muslin, linsey, seyens, ensure,
>> uredia, diamat, matlos, losels, elsins, insunk, unkill, illing, ingoes,
>> oesogi, ogived, vedism, ismdom, domett, ettles, lessee, seeing, ingans,
>> anshar, hardim, dimply, plying, inglut, lutzes, zester, ternar, narica,
>> icarus, rushes, hestia, tiamat, mating, ingots )
>
> Do you have a link to the dictionary you're using?  Among the first 17
> words (for example) of that sequence, only sedate and hiatus are in
> linux's /usr/share/dict/american-english file.

Do you prefer that these words be excluded?
                           dublin,    otaku, otakus,  shinju,  ohtani,
                           jonathan, eliza, mary, Biden,  boston, oregon

>> i think... A long (straight)  chain  like this (below) is harder to find
>> (no dict for them)
>>
>>     Survey -
>>     Monkey - Business - Casual - Sex - Work - Visa - Card - Shark - Tank
>>     - Top - Secret - Agent - Orange - Julius - Caesar - Salad - Dressing
>
> I think the basics of the problem are not more difficult, if a
> dictionary of collocations were to be found.  I don't know of a free
> one, or whether the following would be accessible if paid for.
> https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/us/definition/collocations

i've used a bigger dict before, but stopped using that one,
        when i realized that it was giving me so many words
                    i'd never seen and will never use or learn.

https://github.com/possibly-wrong/word-frequency/blob/main/word-frequency.txt

_________________ Rearrange the words into a chain of 2-word  phrases:

     Rocky   Break    Road     Point   Compound
                Game       Eye       Open       Level

               (Hint:     the ends   (Rocky ... Level)   don't move)