Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v6hsvm$12f54$7@dont-email.me>

From: Lawrence D'Oliveiro <ldo@nz.invalid>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: There he goes again
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2024 23:33:10 -0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 08 Jul 2024 14:46:42 -0400, David W. Hodgins wrote:

> The command line tools work just as well.

fdisk for setting up disk partitions, plus of course mkfs for actually
initializing filesystems. And rsync for robust bulk-copying of files.

Tip: download a copy of the latest SystemRescue
<https://www.system-rescue.org/> and keep it on a handy USB stick. A
friend, whom I had previously set up with a Linux Mint installation on his
new MSI Cubi 5, came back complaining that it wasn’t booting any more.
From his description, it sounded like it had run out of disk space.

I booted it up with SystemRescue, and quickly discovered that, while there
was still plenty of room on the main part of the terabyte SSD allocated
to /home, the root partition (60GB or so) had been completely filled up
with snapshots from some Time Machine type backup utility--I forget the
exact name. It was easy enough to dump them all. If he wants to use that
app again, I hope it has an option to choose a more sensible place to keep
its backups.