Article <v6isp6$1aidh$1@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v6isp6$1aidh$1@dont-email.me>

From: Nuno Silva <nunojsilva@invalid.invalid>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: What programs do you make sure are installed on a new Linux install?
Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2024 09:35:50 +0100

On 2024-07-09, candycanearter07 wrote:

> Lawrence D'Oliveiro <ldo@nz.invalid> wrote at 23:18 this Monday (GMT):

>>> Indeed, although it's unfortunate that the ways to do some seemingly
>>> easy things like joining two video files together can require a very
>>> complicated set of command-line options.
>>
>> Because some file formats (e.g. MPEG-4) do not work if you simply
>> concatenate files.
>>
>> If you want a container that can be (more) easily split apart and joined,
>> and can even start playing before it has completely downloaded, try .ts
>> (“transport stream”) format.
>

> I've never heard of that, but it sounds interesting! Is it a more raw
> format like .wav?

It's another MPEG container. I think one use of this is DVB (so,
"digital television").

Just like there is a different MPEG container used in DVD-Video.

My question here would be how flexible it is regarding what can be in
the container. From what I remember of DVD-Video, these containers
aren't that limited, you just need to stick to some criteria if you want
compatibility with a specific kind of player (say, DVD-Video, where IIRC
the video stream has to be encoded using MPEG-2, and should have one of
a few frame sizes, likewise subtitles probably need to be in the bitmap
format, even if MPEG can carry other subtitle formats (I think DVB also
defines a textual format for subtitles?)).

--
Nuno Silva