Article <v6iu0s$1acpg$1@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v6iu0s$1acpg$1@dont-email.me>

From: "Fred. Zwarts" <F.Zwarts@HetNet.nl>
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic
Subject: Re: Liar detector: Fred, Richard, Joes and Alan --- Ben's agreement
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2024 10:56:59 +0200
 <v66t0p$2n56v$1@dont-email.me> <v66t7p$2srk8$1@dont-email.me>
 <v66tql$2n56v$3@dont-email.me> <v66u56$2suut$1@dont-email.me>
 <v66v8i$2n56v$4@dont-email.me> <v67028$2t9el$1@dont-email.me>
 <v68b3f$2n56v$5@dont-email.me> <v68ocd$39dkv$5@dont-email.me>
 <v68pfo$2n56v$7@dont-email.me> <v68rnv$39tml$2@dont-email.me>
 <v68tvd$3ac9t$1@dont-email.me> <v68uj0$3ahel$1@dont-email.me>
 <v694k4$3bevk$1@dont-email.me> <v69502$3bh3f$1@dont-email.me>
 <v6b1k4$3odj5$1@dont-email.me> <v6bf7r$3qiio$2@dont-email.me>
 <v6bm5v$3rj8n$1@dont-email.me> <v6bmoe$3ri0l$2@dont-email.me>
 <v6bnt2$3rj8n$3@dont-email.me> <v6brfj$3skuk$2@dont-email.me>
 <v6c3vh$3ttem$1@dont-email.me> <v6c539$3u2mj$1@dont-email.me>
 <v6dda0$7s8u$1@dont-email.me> <v6e67v$bbcb$4@dont-email.me>
 <v6gss2$t87a$1@dont-email.me> <v6gv65$to0m$1@dont-email.me>
 <v6h2li$ud7p$1@dont-email.me> <v6h2rm$ue7s$1@dont-email.me>
 <v6h3cu$ud7p$2@dont-email.me> <v6h83q$vag9$1@dont-email.me>

Op 08.jul.2024 om 19:36 schreef olcott:
> On 7/8/2024 11:16 AM, Fred. Zwarts wrote:

>>> Try to show how infinity is one cycle too soon.
>>>
>> You believe that two equals infinity.
>
> void Infinite_Loop()
> {
>    HERE: goto HERE;
> }
>
> void Infinite_Recursion()
> {
>    Infinite_Recursion();
> }
>
> void DDD()
> {
>    HHH(DDD);
> }
>
> Two cycles is enough to correctly determine that none
> of the above functions correctly emulated by HHH can
> possibly halt.
>
> That you don't see this is ignorance or deception.

The first two irrelevant examples cannot halt, but they differ
fundamentally from DDD, because DDD, like Finite_Recursion, halts after
N repetitions.

void Finite_Recursion (int N) {
   if (N > 0) Finite_Recursion (N - 1);
}

DDD, is is an unneeded complication, the simple case is:

        int main()
        {
          return H(main, 0);
        }

Yes, your are right that HHH cannot possibly simulate itself correctly.
That is because HHH aborts after simulating two cycles of itself. Then
it aborts. It does not simulate the full behaviour of the input, which
would abort and return one cycle later. So, it misses the most important
part of itself, namely, that it aborts and returns.
It assumes that two cycles are equivalent to an infinite number of
cycles, which, of course, is an invalid assumption.
TWO DOES NOT EQUAL INFINITY!
That makes the simulation incorrect. A simulation must process the full
input, not only the first part, in particular when the last part halts
by its own and does not need an abort.
You have shown that other simulators are able to show that a correct
simulation of HHH halts.
It is only HHH that cannot possibly simulate itself correctly.
This is supported by your claim that the simulation cannot possibly
reach the 'ret' instruction.
It is also supported by the full trace, you published, where we see that
the x86 code of the simulated HHH is not completely simulated, but
aborted one cycle too early.

So, this incorrect simulation cannot be used to get support from Sipser,
who only spoke about a correct simulation.