Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v6k6fl$1h44m$1@dont-email.me>

From: Pancho <Pancho.Jones@proton.me>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: WiFi enabled cable modems or WiFi routers for Linux?
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2024 21:27:32 +0100

On 09/07/2024 17:26, Pancho wrote:
> On 09/07/2024 16:25, Andy Burns wrote:
>> Nuno Silva wrote:

>>> What!? So far I've only seen web admin interfaces that are on LAN
>>> addresses. Which manufacturers are doing that?
>>
>> Not my own, but I've seen a Linksys mesh system that requires you to
>> create a cloud account, then use a mobile app to login to the cloud
>> configure the devices ...
>>

> My Mercusys Mesh Wifi System only has a Cloud UI.

Actually, this is misleading. The Mesh WiFi is controlled by an app on
my Android Phone. It isn't a cloud service. The phone app normally
connects to a cloud web server when I run it, but it doesn't need to. It
controls the WiFi access points via the WLAN. It also works when the
phone is cut off from the WAN/Mobile provider.

My WiFi access points are fire wall blocked from the WAN. A LAN IP can
route to the WAN through a WiFi access point, but a WiFi access point's
own IP has no external WAN access.

I guess this isn't as bad as I made it seem. Maybe they do it because it
was cheaper to develop an Android UI than it was to develop a Web UI.

Security wise, it may be no worse than a locked down local web-server
interface. I'm not smart enough to know.