Article <v6lkf0$1rnq8$2@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v6lkf0$1rnq8$2@dont-email.me>

From: The Natural Philosopher <tnp@invalid.invalid>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: What programs do you make sure are installed on a new Linux
 install?
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2024 10:32:16 +0100

On 10/07/2024 10:25, Borax Man wrote:
> On 2024-07-09, Popping Mad <rainbow@colition.gov> wrote:
>> On 7/8/24 10:10 AM, candycanearter07 wrote:
>>> Well, if you grew up with it, there would be a huge learning curve
>>> moving to Linux..
>>

>> That is bullshit.  You think it is easy to get Windows to do ANYTHING?
>> That was never true, not even before ximian, and it is still not true.
>>

> I agree, Windows was quite difficult too.  Back in the Windows 95/98
> days I had to reinstall a few times, because of viruses and corruption.
> I remember having corrupted registries, vague GDI errors, things I
> didn't know how to fix.  I remember people having problems with Windows,
> coming to me for help because I did "know computers", but still being
> stuck.
>
> Windows is easy when it works, but when it stuffed up, it was just as
> difficult.

Windows had two advantages
- it came pre installed and the shop knew how to reinstall it
- many more people knew how to fix its current problems

It needed them because right from when I switched over in Win98 it was a
lot less stable, and quirky and virus prone.

But all these comparisons with linux are fairly pointless. People who
run Windows do so for other reasons.

--
I was brought up to believe that you should never give offence if you
can avoid it; the new culture tells us you should always take offence if

Sir Roger Scruton