Article <v6m5ni$1ugsr$1@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v6m5ni$1ugsr$1@dont-email.me>

From: Thiago Adams <thiago.adams@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Subject: =?UTF-8?Q?Re=3A_technology_discussion_=E2=86=92_does_the_world_need?=
 =?UTF-8?B?IGEgIm5ldyIgQyA/?=
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2024 11:26:58 -0300
 <87wmlzvfqp.fsf@nosuchdomain.example.com> <v6ard1$3ngh6$4@dont-email.me>
 <v6b0jv$3nnt6$1@dont-email.me> <87h6d2uox5.fsf@nosuchdomain.example.com>
 <v6d779$6rk5$2@dont-email.me> <v6e76u$c0i9$1@dont-email.me>
 <v6esqm$fian$2@dont-email.me> <v6f7vg$hgam$1@dont-email.me>
 <20240707164747.258@kylheku.com> <v6gl83$s72a$1@dont-email.me>
 <v6h8ao$ur1v$1@dont-email.me> <v6jhk3$1drd6$1@dont-email.me>
 <v6jiud$1dsjb$1@dont-email.me> <877cdur1z9.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
 <v6joi4$1epoj$1@dont-email.me> <871q42qy33.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
 <v6k6i0$1h4d3$1@dont-email.me> <87ed82p28y.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
 <v6m03l$1tf05$1@dont-email.me> <87r0c1nzjj.fsf@bsb.me.uk>

On 10/07/2024 10:32, Ben Bacarisse wrote:
> bart <bc@freeuk.com> writes:

>>> Parameter passing is relatively simple though since there is only one
>>> mechanism -- pass by value.
>>
>> Except when it comes to arrays.
>
> The oddity is that, in C, one can't pass arrays to functions at all.
> That is one of the quirks that people learning C need to learn.  It does
> not alter the fact that there is only parameter passing mechanism -- by
> value.
>
> Your plan, of course, is to take that one place where C is relatively
> simple and complicate by pretending that C as pass by reference as well
> as by value.

GCC and clang have warnings if you use sizeof of the "array" argument.

void f(int a[])
{
   int i = sizeof(a); //
}

"sizeof on array function parameter will return size of 'int *' instead
of 'int[]' [-Wsizeof-array-argument]"

But GCC and CLANG does not complain if we do

void f(int a[])
{
   a = 0;
}

In cake I will have warnings for both cases.