Article <v6m99c$1tjtq$2@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v6m99c$1tjtq$2@dont-email.me>

From: Zen Cycle <funkmaster@hotmail.com>
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: Disc brake maintenance tips
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2024 11:27:40 -0400
 <v6be64$3qc85$1@dont-email.me> <v6bnfi$3rvtv$1@dont-email.me>
 <h6ri8jl980fkg01h56603l5htkj168k7u2@4ax.com>
 <g8nj8jl3i63ku5hib2ccach3p3q9j2mv2j@4ax.com> <v6d3rn$6gvj$1@dont-email.me>
 <v6ebb0$cgrt$2@dont-email.me> <v6enlj$emn4$1@dont-email.me>
 <v6erht$f4d3$2@dont-email.me> <v6fb8m$husq$1@dont-email.me>
 <v6fcbi$i61t$2@dont-email.me> <v6fj54$ms5e$2@dont-email.me>
 <iq6n8j9vi3d3dvvfuv84i3a5o2dfguduc7@4ax.com>
 <1k8n8j95fe3b2kcl708jknjlrl4fsmipuu@4ax.com> <v6hg4k$10a9a$3@dont-email.me>
 <v6hn3d$11fal$6@dont-email.me> <v6i4a1$13d15$3@dont-email.me>
 <v6jbnk$1cs73$1@dont-email.me> <v6ks17$1nrv6$3@dont-email.me>
 <v6m0r8$1tofv$3@dont-email.me> <v6m78i$1uq3s$3@dont-email.me>

On 7/10/2024 10:53 AM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
> On 7/10/2024 9:03 AM, AMuzi wrote:

>>> Nope. If it were simply long service life, the number of guns in
>>> circulation would rise roughly as the population rose; or in other
>>> words, the number of guns per capita would remain roughly constant.
>>>
>>> As it is, between 1950 and 2024, U.S. population slightly more than
>>> doubled. Number of guns increased by a factor of ten.
>>>
>>> "The world is SO dangerous! You GOTTA have a gun for self defense!
>>> And ARs are so macho!" have all worked great for the gun industry and
>>> the street punk industry.
>>>

>> That's not right.
>> The total number is only negligibly diminished by throwing out or
>> recycling the metal in firearms.  They mostly remain serviceable
>> (unlike bicycles or computers) and the total aggregates with new
>> product added inexorably. And people usually don't stop at one (unlike
>> some products).
>
> I don't see a parallel with other, um, small scale durable goods, if
> that's a reasonable description.
>
> Soup spoons, screwdrivers, garden shovels, kitchen chairs and dozens of
> other things found in most households have almost infinite service life.
> But there's been no ten-fold increase in inventory of such goods. People
> buy what they actually need and are almost certain to use for their
> intended purpose.
>
> Not so with guns. We've yet to see description of an incident where the
> pro-gun people posting here actually used one for defense, the most
> commonly stated motivation. (Ditto, an incident where those posting here
> used one to prevent the disarming and enslaving of the population by an
> evil government!)
>
> I suspect it's because it's never happened.
>
> It's kind of like super-bright daytime running lights on bikes. "Oooh, I
> _need_ one to be safe!!!"  [No you don't.]

A lot of it has to do with the fear-mongering on the right screeching
"THE DEMOCRATS ARE GOING TO TAKE ALL YOUR GUNS AWAY!!!!!
GAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!" every time there's a democrat administration.

If there was some highly politically connected group that did the same
thing about bikes, you'd likely see run on those too.

It's already happened with 60 watt incandescents:
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=60+wat+lightbulb+hoarding

--
Add xx to reply